Rose of Sharon - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing in primary, waiting for the bananas to ripen for my next planned wine. I don't like going through withdrawal so I had to do something and the something had to be new. It was a choice between Rose of Sharon and sage. (Ugh.)

I tasted the flowers and they're actually good. That gave me the go ahead. Not as flavorful as day lily but much more than dandelion.

The basic flower wine recipe is 4-6 cups flowers. I knew if it was too "delicate" I wouldn't drink it. I decided to go with a "hold my beer" quantity of flowers - about 14 cups. Yeah!

BTW, the flower buds also taste good! Taste and texture just like okra...and slimy, too! Did not use any.

rose of sharon.jpg

I racked my dandelion and carrot chem wines off the lees today, and a triple berry from 6 months ago. I still have a couple more to deal with. The chem free carrot and dandelion are taking longer to clear, and I should likely have a look at the raspberry I first made. I've got some ready to split and bottle, too. Other than that I am ready to start something new. 😄 Primary has been empty for weeks.

I think rhubarb will be coming up next.

I don't have established flowers. I would not survive long after a harvest. I'll have to wait to give them a go, but you sure have me intrigued. Especially with the anise hyssop you did the other day.

Last edited:
I racked my dandelion and carrot chem wines off the lees today, and a triple berry from 6 months ago. I still have a couple more to deal with. The chem free carrot and dandelion are taking longer to clear, and I should likely have a look at the raspberry I first made. I've got some ready to split and bottle, too. Other than that I am ready to start something new. 😄 Primary has been empty for weeks.

I think rhubarb will be coming up next.

I don't have established flowers. I would not survive long after a harvest. I'll have to wait to give them a go, but you sure have me intrigued. Especially with the anise hyssop you did the other day.
I never expected a hobby started on a whim to become such a passionate and enjoyable endeavor. The twists and turns are surprising and fun. How many people in the world have day lilies in the freezer??!!

How can you have an empty primary for weeks? Slacker. 😄

I never expected a hobby started on a whim to become such a passionate and enjoyable endeavor. The twists and turns are surprising and fun. How many people in the world have day lilies in the freezer??!!

How can you have an empty primary for weeks? Slacker. 😄
I work in waves. Last time I had 2 in primary and a couple days later 3 more. That's the 5 I am catching up on now. Get these sorted and on the 3 month carefree side and I can dive back in.

I know it sounds like I'm not committing myself, I'm just trying not to get too over run. 😉

In all seriousness, I actually find it really easy to keep things organized working in batches. After I rack the other 3 it will be 3 months before I need to worry about them. Doing my original batches at the same time I have all my one gallon batches on the same schedule. There are 8 individual gallons. I can do them all in a day or over a week. Coming up some will only need k-meta, others a racking. Other than those I have 3 batches where I did 2 6 gallon kits at a time. They are staggered about a month apart and I know I just have to keep my mind on which pair is coming up. That way I have 4 groups to keep in mind instead of 14 individual wines. I just check my notes which I keep in the couch console, and I don't even have to go in my room to know where the cycle is and what I am going to need to do next.

It is funny though, because at this point it really feels like I need to get something going. I've been wondering for a couple of weeks what to do next.

I think rhubarb makes the most sense.

In all seriousness, I actually find it really easy to keep things organized working in batches. After I rack the other 3 it will be 3 months before I need to worry about them. Doing my original batches at the same time I have all my one gallon batches on the same schedule. There are 8 individual gallons. I can do them all in a day or over a week. Coming up some will only need k-meta, others a racking. Other than those I have 3 batches where I did 2 6 gallon kits at a time. They are staggered about a month apart and I know I just have to keep my mind on which pair is coming up. That way I have 4 groups to keep in mind instead of 14 individual wines. I just check my notes which I keep in the couch console, and I don't even have to go in my room to know where the cycle is and what I am going to need to do next.

I think rhubarb makes the most sense.
Also, in all seriousness, I think it's important to have a "system" that works for you. It makes things easier. If your "system" works for, well, excellent!

My rhubarb is toying with me, just starting to harvest a little now.

Well...
Before I added the yeast yesterday morning I was a bit concerned. The bucket smelled like wet day old yard trimmings. Yikes!

When I checked this morning the smell went away and it's fermenting like crazy and had a hard cap. Went from 1.086 to 1.060 in 24 hours. A tiny little taste makes me think this has possibilities.

sharon 1.jpg

After I stirred it instantly had 2 inches of foam. Seems like it's picking up some of the color, too.

sharon 2.jpg

And we're transferred!
I'm surprised it picked up so much color.
Really good flavor! Very happy! Going with 14 cups was a good idea.
It's fruity...but...a mystery fruit, can't put my finger on it.

Never thought I'd enjoy using flowers as the flavor element. Each wine blows me away.

rose of sharon 2.jpg

Your post compelled me to check that Rose of Sharon flowers are edible. They are , though they may be toxic to cats, dogs and horses...
Believe me, I always do the research. I have plants on the property that range from toxic to "you die now".

It's driving me crazy - I have 3 berries that I can't absolutely positively identify. I need that "absolutely positively".

The Plumeria wine is tasting good tonight. The alcohol is starting to stand out and the aroma is gone so gonna need backsweetenin.

still coca color colored. What color is the rose of sharon ? Is it that orange carboy a few posts back ?

I’m glad to hear it’s not off tasting now…
Could have just been the time of day, and what I did or didn’t eat. It’s gonna be OK. Except for the color. I’m tempted to get some fresh golden raisins and try again or maybe a lighter tea.

i might make a tea with some fresh blossoms when i backsweeten to mix the sugar in with to see if it gives it a little aroma.

what do both of you Dave’s think ? A highly concentrated “blossom tea” for Backsweetening ?

Last edited:
Could have just been the time of day, and what I did or didn’t eat. It’s gonna be OK. Except for the color. I’m tempted to get some fresh golden raisins and try again or maybe a lighter tea.

i might make a tea with some fresh blossoms when i backsweeten to mix the sugar in with to see if it gives it a little aroma.

what do both of you Dave’s think ? A highly concentrated “blossom tea” for Backsweetening ?
Good news about the wine. I noticed my taste buds act differently during the day. I think their union contract stipulates x number of breaks.

I don't think a tea would hurt. I'd go for it.
Also, I read that boiling water might negatively impact the flowers scent. Too much chemistry blahblah for me to remember. I use hot water but not boiling - bit under 200 F.

Latest posts

Back