Rose just not so good, what would you do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I made ten gallons of Rose this season. Acidified saignee from merlot, cab franc and then 100 pounds or so of grenache (5 gallons) that was given to me at 17 brix. I blended it all together and the results are less than impressive. No nose, thin, a flavor of pine needles and a bit acidic. The wine doesn’t have any fundamental flaws, just not that great to drink.

If it is a total loss, it‘s not the end of the world because the primary purpose of the Rose was to improve the quality of the Merlot barrel. However, I want to give a try to transform this into an enjoyable Rose.

I have a trial plan in mind, but I’d like to hear what you would try.

68D8ED5A-7AE7-4210-B03F-B154D3C65520.jpeg

It's early. It's likely to get much better. I would not give up yet. I didn't think my Rose was good until April. But 17 brix is low, so hard to know if you're just dealing with underripe grapes. I don't have a ton of experience here, but that's my take.

10 gallons is the right amount of Rose to make, so I hope yours turns out drinkable. Good luck. I'll trade you when I bottle my Barbera Rose in the spring.

I made ten gallons of Rose this year. Acidified saignee from merlot, cab franc and then 100 pounds or so of grenache (5 gallons) that was given to me at 17 brix. I blended it all together and the results are less than impressive. No nose, thin, a flavor of pine needles and a bit acidic. The wine doesn’t have any fundamental flaws, just not that great to drink.

If it is a total loss, it the end of the world because the primary purpose of the Rose was to improve the quality of the Merlot barrel. However, I want to give a try to transform this into an enjoyable Rose.

I have a trial plan in mind, but I’d like to hear what you would try.

View attachment 70129
Are all the measurements in line? If so, I think I'd do a bench trial of back-sweetening to see if that helps.

I made ten gallons of Rose this year.

Being this the first week of 2021, I assume you mean last year, else that would be a very young wine indeed.... :)

But I agree with with the idea of just let it do its thing for a few more months. It may be a loss, but it may also simply be young and needs to find itself.

If you do, learn from the dumping. Using 17 BRIX Grenache was questionable, to me anyway, that’s my fingerpoint for the rose’, which had some really good fruit in it.

That fruit either had ripening issues, was picked to soon, vineyard is poorly sited, vines were growing in the shade, something was wrong with it. It’s not just the sugar that doesn’t develop in those low BRIX situations, taste isn’t going to be on track either

After giving some time, see how it is in a sangria. The sweetness and fruit might be just what it needs. 17 Brix might be low or the grapes under ripe, but many Virginia wineries had to make Rose in 2018; the weather was so wet, the red grapes simply would not ripen. Most were able to come up with a passable Rose.

No nose, thin, a flavor of pine needles and a bit acidic. The wine doesn’t have any fundamental flaws, just not that great to drink.
Sounds a lot like the wine that Hennessy and Courvoisier are made out of. Just saying, in case it doesn't get better in a few months. An AirStill is a good device to have around the winemaking shop. ;)

After giving some time, see how it is in a sangria. The sweetness and fruit might be just what it needs. 17 Brix might be low or the grapes under ripe, but many Virginia wineries had to make Rose in 2018; the weather was so wet, the red grapes simply would not ripen. Most were able to come up with a passable Rose.
Another vote for sangria - see what doctoring it up a bit does with other flavored liquors, some boone's farm maybe. That there's the beauty of home wine making -- you get to play with additions. I'm envisioning a large punchbowl/juice dispenser type set-up at your post-covid outdoor get together, the rose flowing freely on the back patio.

If you do, learn from the dumping. Using 17 BRIX Grenache was questionable, to me anyway, that’s my fingerpoint for the rose’, which had some really good fruit in it.

That fruit either had ripening issues, was picked to soon, vineyard is poorly sited, vines were growing in the shade, something was wrong with it. It’s not just the sugar that doesn’t develop in those low BRIX situations, taste isn’t going to be on track either
I think you may have nailed the source of the off wine.

The fruit came from a private vineyard. I knew they had Grenache as I used their fruit in 2013 and 2015. I contacted them on a few rows of grapes that I saw left on the vines, where it looked like the vineyard had been harvested. It ends up the fruit was petit verdot, but he said I was welcome to go through the vineyard and pick the Grenache clusters that were “missed” during harvest. I went and looked at the 4 acres of Grenache and I didn’t see enough fruit to make it worth my while and told the vineyard owner thank you, but I’ll pass. The next day he showed up at my door unannounced with 100-120 pounds of nice looking Grenache fruit. After crush and brix check is when I realized that it was only 17 brix and went the Rose route with it. I suspect it was under ripe, second growth fruit that was purposely not picked.

Thanks for the feedback. I was going to do some bench trials with sugar and perhaps deacidify it a bit, but I’ll take the suggestions and first give it more time to see if it comes around, before doing anything. I also like playing with other commercial additions to see if I can make something that perhaps others would like.

@NorCal, so far I've not heard a good reason -- or any reason -- to dump the rose. I know you're disappointed, but this wine has a lot uses other than toilet bowl cleaner.

Giving the wine time is the easiest thing to do. Ignore it for 3 or 4 months and then test. If it's still disappointing:
  • Sangria and other wine drinks are refreshing in summer months. I make a quick drink with a bottle of wine + the juice of 1 orange, lemon, and lime, then sweeten to taste. Or you can coarsely grind fresh or canned fruit in a food processor and add to a bottle.
  • Backsweeten with juice, not sugar. Something strong flavored like cherry or pomegranate are good choices. Apricot or peach are interesting alternatives.
  • Marinades! This wine should be great for chicken, fish, and pork. Brining is normally done with water, but you may have a few gallons of wine handy.
  • Friends! Most people have friends that will drink anything with alcohol in it. If you have some, I'm sure they'll love free wine!
You have not lost a wine, you have gained alternatives! ;)

@NorCal, so far I've not heard a good reason -- or any reason -- to dump the rose. ;)

Agree.

And, also, It is, at the end of the day, a Rosé (and, yes (inserting pretentious comment here) I have the é key on my keyboard :h). Not a world class wine. A Rosé can be a very nice wine. But also, no one should expect too much from it if. Especially from anyone who likes a large, bold red wine, which is certainly is not.... :)

Last edited:
I have "saved" wines like this with blending, if that's an option. Adding a small amount of an excessively fruity wine can turn something weedy and unripe into something palatable (hot tub wine). I have used catawba for this purpose and muscat -they are both a bit much on their own, but they can really pick up an herbaceous or otherwise dreary wine.

Are you in California? I have a lot of muscat -perhaps we can do a trade at some point?

-Aaron

@NorCal, so far I've not heard a good reason -- or any reason -- to dump the rose. I know you're disappointed, but this wine has a lot uses other than toilet bowl cleaner.

Giving the wine time is the easiest thing to do. Ignore it for 3 or 4 months and then test. If it's still disappointing:
  • Sangria and other wine drinks are refreshing in summer months. I make a quick drink with a bottle of wine + the juice of 1 orange, lemon, and lime, then sweeten to taste. Or you can coarsely grind fresh or canned fruit in a food processor and add to a bottle.
  • Backsweeten with juice, not sugar. Something strong flavored like cherry or pomegranate are good choices. Apricot or peach are interesting alternatives.
  • Marinades! This wine should be great for chicken, fish, and pork. Brining is normally done with water, but you may have a few gallons of wine handy.
  • Friends! Most people have friends that will drink anything with alcohol in it. If you have some, I'm sure they'll love free wine!
You have not lost a wine, you have gained alternatives! ;)
Good suggestions. What I have found is that when I make a wine that my wife and I do not like, it sits on the shelf, as there are other alternatives that are much more appealing. That happened to a second wine that I experimented with. It sat in the bottle and we didn't touch a single one.

I am also reticent to give any of my wine to family and friends that I don't like; I have the K&K brand to uphold :) However, I am not partial to sweet wines, but when I have made Skeeter Pee or Dragons Blood, it always finds a home. I like the idea of turning this into something sweet via some additions that will find its place with family and friends.

I have "saved" wines like this with blending, if that's an option. Adding a small amount of an excessively fruity wine can turn something weedy and unripe into something palatable (hot tub wine). I have used catawba for this purpose and muscat -they are both a bit much on their own, but they can really pick up an herbaceous or otherwise dreary wine.

Are you in California? I have a lot of muscat -perhaps we can do a trade at some point?

-Aaron
I am in CA, as my name would suggest. Specifically Loomis CA outside of Sacramento. I'm totally up for trading for some Muscat.

You can actually bottle Sangria and keep chilled for a coupe weeks. I'm sure you know that a few commercial (small) wineries do bottle and sell.

I'm positive you can make it sweeter and it will find a home.

Latest posts

Back