Rose from Grenache?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bliorg

Preemptive has-been
Reaction score
Hi all -

I was pondering a rose this season, specifically from California Grenache fruit. I'm reading that it can be, depending on variety of Grenache, difficult to get color from these grapes. This would be my first rose - is this not a good variety to start with? I was guessing for a few hours of contact; would it be significantly longer? Short of Grenache, is there another variety that would be a better first go?

Thanks.

Grenache makes excellent Rose and I believe it is the most used grape to make Rose in the world. You can get as much color as you desire...just leave it on the skins longer.

What I do when making Rose is always err on the light side of color; just minutes on the skins. I will then add color (residual juice available from the pressed grapes) to the Rose juice later, if I want more color. You can always add color, you cannot take color out.

Grenache makes excellent Rose and I believe it is the most used grape to make Rose in the world. You can get as much color as you desire...just leave it on the skins longer.

What I do when making Rose is always err on the light side of color; just minutes on the skins. I will then add color (residual juice available from the pressed grapes) to the Rose juice later, if I want more color. You can always add color, you cannot take color out.
Adding color later? Isn’t that kinda like cheating?

Cheating? Not in the least. Unless you consider blending wines to be cheating.

@NorCal is in no way advocating the use of a color additive, et al mega purple, but “color” from the Grenache skins from a side batch left in maceration longer.
This may be a good topic for a separate thread!

Just be aware that when Grenache or any other grape is used specifically for a Rose' that it is picked early (when the acid's are higher, thus pH is lower) so if you are buying Grenache that is being grown for making regular wine that hangs until it can't be hung any longer you will more than likely need to add some tartaric acid or your Rose won't have much of a "pop" on the mouthfeel.

This is a great idea - thanks for sharing that.
Just be aware that when Grenache or any other grape is used specifically for a Rose' that it is picked early (when the acid's are higher, thus pH is lower) so if you are buying Grenache that is being grown for making regular wine that hangs until it can't be hung any longer you will more than likely need to add some tartaric acid or your Rose won't have much of a "pop" on the mouthfeel.
I kind of knew about this, but didn't really consider that you can add back tartaric to compensate for the more ripe fruit. Good tip - thank you.

You really want a final pH down around ~3.30 or so but let your taste buds be your guide.

This is a great idea - thanks for sharing that.

I kind of knew about this, but didn't really consider that you can add back tartaric to compensate for the more ripe fruit. Good tip - thank you.

I just bottled a Grenache Blanc. I know many will say I wasted a good red skin to make another white, but I was quite happy with the results. In hind-site, I wish I would have done a rosé with half of it to see the difference in color & tannin a little extra skin time makes. Also, if I would have done it as Saignée, it may have changed color more quickly as the skin to juice ratio would have been higher. I say don't ponder it - make a batch. If you find it was a mistake, that's the tuition for learning that knowledge. By the way post the results so others can learn from your experience (without paying the tuition).

Hi all -

I was pondering a rose this season, specifically from California Grenache fruit. I'm reading that it can be, depending on variety of Grenache, difficult to get color from these grapes. This would be my first rose - is this not a good variety to start with? I was guessing for a few hours of contact; would it be significantly longer? Short of Grenache, is there another variety that would be a better first go?

Thanks.
If Grenache is balanced i.e. sugar and acid it can make a really tasty and fragrant wine. I wouldn't worry about the colour. Focus on flavour and smell. Don't be afraid to blend it if it is out of balance. We made 87% Grenanche 7% Mourvedre and 6% Malbec from Washington grapes that was stunning after 9 years fermented for about 3 weeks with Pasteur Red yeast hand destemmed and uncrushed. It smelled like white pepper and strawberries, Mourvedre smelled like Italian seasoning. Malbec smelled like blackberries. If it is too high in sugar and too low in acid consider adding Barbera to it.

Latest posts

Back