Rosé ZERO skins time!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok. Realistically the mean skins contact time probably about 15 min.

Saigneé le Parking Lot

69BD4ECE-3D86-46A5-85DB-81FE6B88B32B.jpeg0368801B-EDA1-4E79-A742-759D149928E4.jpeg4F08706A-F237-4005-8F2F-D814C949BFC8.jpeg1678C91B-3465-4B61-80E0-D99D70532C3F.jpeg7ABC9F3D-58D6-4F02-A8CC-83B50BA15116.jpeg

No doubt im the only stunad to treat their parking lot like it’s my basement. I sensed a major annoyance from the employees lol. But ask me how much I care 😏 . Btw— not crushing my own grapes? Yeah that’s a never again. B/c if ya want somethin done right.......

350lbs Wash St cab yielded just about 35gal in total (w/ 4gal juice pulled)
Dry ice baths tonight. Will dive in tomorrow.
Very Happy with the rosé color. Glad I didn’t wait.

The grapes look pretty damn good from here!
They are actually the smallest berries I’ve ever used. Tiny! Smaller than any blueberries I’ve ever seen.

Wow-Lots of early color.

That will keep the wife happy with your wine making!

Got any other numbers?

Cold soaking currently in my crude icebox and didn’t really properly prep samples. I just pulled some juice from each bucket, combined and measured. Here’s the preliminary numbers

Cab 24.2%Brix
3.56 ph

rosé 24.8% Brix°
3.32ph
Planning rack the rosé off the junk and probably inoculate tonight or tomorrow. Acid looks ideal. Brix might need to come down. Idk I’ve adding nothing to the rosé. And only enzymes to the cab. Not sure when I should make my tannin addition to the cab (or if at all)5236B8A8-B106-4353-AA3F-93CF2331DE8B.jpeg

Btw- this saigneé rosé is extremely selfish. It was NOT done in good conscious. And I feel guilty and must confess my sin

The red Mountain cab fruit is wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. With seemingly perfect numbers to boot. AND I am performing an extended cold soak to the must. AND I am using lallzyme exv during the soak. AND the berries are tiny leaving a VERY skins heavy must. I anticipate my yield to be much less than the typical 70%.

the saigneé was not needed. I suppose it will improvethe wine by concentrating the skins ratio. But not needed. Probably excessive. This is a reverse saigneé. Making a rosé while improving the mother wine as a byproduct— instead of the adverse.

ok. Clear conscience now.:i

Oh and btw I was going to get a full panel lab test for the wine but I did not. It was a complete ripoff and couldn’t do it out of principle.
Pre fermentation panel:
ph, brix, TA, free so2 $50

Unnecessary as I can test them myself. (Even though I’ve all but stopped testing for TA as long as ph looks good)
malic level ($40) would be nice. but I believe they just run a chroma.
YAN ($40) obviously is helpful. But I can purchase the chems to test myself for cheaper than 1 test. So- no known YAN for this strictly because of spite!87D0720A-0131-4DD5-A9A3-9E3C1AD55D0C.jpeg

Btw- this saigneé rosé is extremely selfish. It was NOT done in good conscious. And I feel guilty and must confess my sin

The red Mountain cab fruit is wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. With seemingly perfect numbers to boot. AND I am performing an extended cold soak to the must. AND I am using lallzyme exv during the soak. AND the berries are tiny leaving a VERY skins heavy must. I anticipate my yield to be much less than the typical 70%.

Nooo. Dude-you're doing the woman a favor. She and her friends will suck it down. Really. It's going to be a huge hit, and maybe a wine making home run. I'll trade you 2020 rosé. Lemme know in like April.

Nooo. Dude-you're doing the woman a favor. She and her friends will suck it down. Really. It's going to be a huge hit, and maybe a wine making home run. I'll trade you 2020 rosé. Lemme know in like April.
It’s a deal.
I have a few outstanding ‘promised bottles’ out there. I’ll get to it eventually. It’s just one of those things. I know one day I’ll get motivated and box up multiple.

First I need to get some wine bottled! I’m bone dry. Ran out before getting to it.

5 days since inoculating D-47 w/ SG above 1.100
Currently at 65° The vigorous bubbling is done. Now it’s doing that slight shimmering surface sparkle co2 thing I’m familiar with.

My 1st check of SG yesterday. Only 1.092. ——- after 5 days? Wow. Hey as long as it’s goin down and looking healthy I’m happy. I admit I know very little about whites/rosé. Been in the carboy whole time. Nutrient wise I was just gonna treat it as I would a red and give a 2nd dose at 1/3 complete.
With such a slow SG drop rate- I’m not concerned per se, considering temps, but I am gonna keep my eye on it checking more often. This slow drop sound somewhat normal or should I be concerned? DFF1179A-7C44-4F60-82FB-12305ACF899F.jpeg

That seems to be much slower than I would expect it to be dropping. Although you are getting somewhat close to the minimum temperature tolerance of D47, which is 59 F. I say let it go, slow isn't really all that much of a problem, as long as it keeps dropping. I would add the yeast nutrient as you planned as well, that may warm it up a degree or two.

That seems to be much slower than I would expect it to be dropping. Although you are getting somewhat close to the minimum temperature tolerance of D47, which is 59 F. I say let it go, slow isn't really all that much of a problem, as long as it keeps dropping. I would add the yeast nutrient as you planned as well, that may warm it up a degree or two.

SG check last night was 1.083. At 65°.

Now 7 days since inoculating. Dropping slow and steady. .010 points in a day is actually an increase. So seems good. Like you said, I’m just gonna go with it.

Quick question though, with whites or rosé —- is there ever a time during fermentation when you do intentionally introduce o2? Stirring or anything. I get uneasy trapping this in the carboy with no o2 at all while it’s fermenting. I feel like it needs some o2 to be healthy. Or if any funky odors start, to be able to release it, not bath in it.

Idk, am I off base? What’s the deal with o2 and white ferments? My gut says to air it out occasionally

I treat my rose more like a red than a white, in that I do lid on bucket, but not closed off, temps are temps in the basement, which are around 63-65F, stir twice or three times a day, rack a bit earlier than I would with a red (around 1.015-1.010 or so). I also rack dirty and get everything I can. then three to five days to finish fermentation and rack leaving behind the gross lees.

I treat my rose more like a red than a white, in that I do lid on bucket, but not closed off, temps are temps in the basement, which are around 63-65F, stir twice or three times a day, rack a bit earlier than I would with a red (around 1.015-1.010 or so). I also rack dirty and get everything I can. then three to five days to finish fermentation and rack leaving behind the gross lees.
Interesting. I honestly don’t know why I had it my head to be so protective with it.
hearing your routine is helpful. I am very pro o2 for ferments and keeping this shut off from any o2 wasn’t sitting well. Not gonna move it. But I will def feel more comfortable stirring it up occasionally. Thanks Craig

If it's in a carboy, just stick a turkey baster in there and give a couple of shots of air; I've got one modified with an extension tube for sampling that also works for this purpose.

Quick question though, with whites or rosé —- is there ever a time during fermentation when you do intentionally introduce o2?

Me, myself and I, I stir twice daily and let in lots of O2 till the sugar content has dropped by no more than 2/3rds, then I rack and airlock. But that is also assuming a very active fermentation.

Ergo: That is a lot of airspace in your photos given the amount of (low) foaming activity on the surface. On that alone, I would move it to a smaller container to limit airspace, and airlock.

Side note: I have had wines ferment in a few days, a few weeks and even in one case a few months (was not completed till January). Always, the longer ferments made better wines. Slower is better, IMHO. Do not be in a hurry. Wine making, if anything, should teach patients.

Last edited:
If it's in a carboy, just stick a turkey baster in there and give a couple of shots of air; I've got one modified with an extension tube for sampling that also works for this purpose.
nice. I have a few large syringes riggedbwith tubes as well. I use em for pulling refrigerated wine off lees.

normally I’d just stir this without a 2nd thought-but the sediment I assume can deepen the color and I wanna keep it as light as I can so aerating like this sounds good to me.

I didn’t mention earlier, but I do smell “it”. It’s not bad. Not at all. But I know it’s there. And I don’t want it to get worse. I think my nose for h2s is much more aware since using non-h2s yeast lately.

Latest posts

Back