Rooting store bought table grape bunches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DER4NG0

Junior
Reaction score
In the past few weeks some of my local grocery stores have been receiving an influx of table grapes. I have found a few varieties that have some exceptionally great flavor. Black Corinth, red grapes, and some green grapes. Is there any possibility that a grape bunch (of course after you picked all the grapes off of it) could root? I currently have a semi-sterilized bare grape bunch in a small container of distilled water and honey solution. The grape bunch stem was dipped in Garden Safe Rooting Hormone before being placed in the water and honey solution. There was a decent piece of the peduncle and cane (shoot) still attached to the grape bunch. I have experience with cloning tomato plants, peppers, and even pumpkins, but grapes seem to be a new challenge for me. I also thought about using some gibberellic acid as a rooting hormone. But at about $25-$50 per gram......well that could get quite expensive.Why am I doing this you may ask, well the grape vines are not available for purchase.

Please let me know if this is possible. Or if there is another way I should attempt this experiment.

Thank you much!!!

Last edited:
I would say in theory it could be done, because you have living genetic material, but my guess is in a laboratory setting. It won't hurt to experiment. let us know how it turns out.

I would say in theory it could be done, because you have living genetic material, but my guess is in a laboratory setting. It won't hurt to experiment. let us know how it turns out.
I agree. If the cells were able to survive the 2000+ mile trip from a California vineyard to here, then it could be possible. I’m just wondering if there are other tips, tricks, and growing scenarios to get some roots and hopefully new growth.

Unfortunately, without lab tissue culture, it won't happen. You've got to have a growth node, a bud or growth tip, somewhere to grow from. Rachis don't have that, so even if you can root them, there's nowhere to grow from.

Tissue culture is not out of reach for the determined amateur though. The growth media and auxins/cytokinins are cheap and widely available on the web, you just need a good sterile technique and a grow-light.

A lot of times the grapes come with stems; would it be easier to root the stems?

Grape stems still don't have growth nodes. You need a cane section with a bud eye.

Back