Root stock or Scion roots?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ct Winemaker

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This past spring we planted 39 Chardonel grafted vines. They grew well and most reached the mid wire (for mid wire cordon training) and in some cases were trained along the wire in both directions. When we removed the grow tubes this fall, some had roots like the attached picture.

1) Are the small roots actually scion roots instead of root stock?

2) Should they be removed? (hope so, because that's what we did)

Thank you very much for any help or opinions you can offer.

Chardonel roots 12-1-19.jpg

It looks like the roots are above the graft, yes? If so they are scion roots. I don’t think it will hurt to remove them. My Chardonel were far less vigorous. The self rooted did better than the grafted. Some of the grafted only grew about 6 to 8 inches. I’m adding more this Spring in hopes they will eventually get established.

75ECDCCC-9FFF-4E66-ACEF-3A65A3F5A7E2.jpeg Hello bshef,
Our Chardonnel were all grafted. We would have much preferred own rooted. In the attached pic (mid / late summer) the Chardonnelmare the first three rows (closest in pic). The other vines were also planted at he same time, own rooted St. Vincent and Marquette. Some of them grew as much as 7-8 ft!

My vines weren’t so vigorous. I planted on May 7. Most got to the top of the grow tubes and some were as tall as 6 feet. We are at 2000 feet in the Appalachian Mountains so our growing season is short and fairly cool. Although we usually have plenty of rain, we were without rain for all of September and half of October so I’m not sure how much they suffered. To top it off, we got down to 11 degrees on November 13. Most are hybrids so I have hope they will survive.

Back