Root Beer Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a quick batch of root beer. Since I don't happen to have 40 or so returnable beer bottles I was thinking about using PET 2 ltr bottles. Is there any reason that I could not reuse a bunch of 2 Ltr soda bottles and just use new caps on them? New caps are available at Midwest, and I expect it will be gone in somewhat short order anyway.

Thanks

I want to make my own root beer but all the recipes and ways were lame. I know I would have to get a CO2 tank but that's okay.

Anybody make great root beer?

Most of the recipes i have found don't indicate you need a co2 tank. Just water, sugar, extract, and yeast.

I am just trying to figure out whose extact I am going to use.

If you go to your LHBS they have a extract for many "sodas". All you need to do is add sugar and water. Then yeast. bottle.
Now I have done it in a keg and force carbonate. Be careful as the "sodas" will impart taste on the rubber gaskest. So, use that keg for sodas only.

i have used the one below and now that i have, i recommend using twice as much extract as the recipe calls for.

root-beer-extract.jpg

i have used the one below and now that i have, i recommend using twice as much extract as the recipe calls for.

root-beer-extract.jpg

I've made these too. My nieces thought it was fun. I do agree with using extra extract. The taste can be a bit weak.

I am thinking about making a quick batch of root beer. Since I don't happen to have 40 or so returnable beer bottles I was thinking about using PET 2 ltr bottles. Is there any reason that I could not reuse a bunch of 2 Ltr soda bottles and just use new caps on them? New caps are available at Midwest, and I expect it will be gone in somewhat short order anyway.

Thanks

I just made root beer soda from extract (Royal brand) - bought at the wine store:
Used sugar 4.4 pounds , beer yeast, royal extract (4 oz) and water - made 18 + litres (9, 2 litre bottles + 5-600 ml) - all in plastic bottles.

Basically mix ingredients and bottle immediately

I'm hopefully doing this as a precursor to making hard root beer cooler - (target 7 percent ABV and carbonated) which I haven't figured yet how to do.

Thinking of putting in another ingredient.
?suggestions?

---

3 of the bottles above I added 1.5 oz concentrated extract of ginger (from boiling the root) as an experiment - not sure if I added enough.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back