rookie mistake!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxplod

Needs intervention!
Reaction score
i think i added too much sugar in my first attemp at apple wine making can it be saved? here what i started with--on a small scale one gl i put one can of apple juice conc,into around 3 qts of apple juice then 3 cups of sugar then my yeast it has started to fermate as i can see the ballon start to rise

Did you check your sg you should be ok I think but you can check your sg to make sure. what was the recipe ?

you need to check your sg before you start to ferment but I don't think three cups is that much. Even though it is fermenting I would check the sg so you would have at least a general idea and get some airlocks instead of using balloons.

Last edited:
x2

basic 3 piece airlocks are < $1 even at the homebrew store.
much better than the balloon method.

for small test batches I like to use a 1 gallon glass carboy and
a 38mm screw cap for the 1 gallon carboy
and a 3 piece airlock

the 38mm carboy screwcap I'm referring to has a molded hole that accepts the 3 piece airlock.

3 cups of sugar to a 1 gallon batch and its fermenting, thats impressive in itself! If I were you Id dilute this down to like a 2 1/2 or 3 gallon batch by adding un sweetened apple juice if you can find it without ant sorbate or benzoate in it. Ascorbic acid is fine and actually is what I use when making light wines like this as they can oxidize (turn brown) very easily like an apple with a bite out of it for a few minutes. You really need a hydrometer to make wine especially when starting to learn how to make wine and the proper sg for a wine like this is about 1.085. get a hydrometer, they are very cheap and simple to use, you put it in the liquid and just read where it floats like a thermometer in your mouth.

Wade is right. You need to have all the right equipment to make wine.
Looks like you are shooting from the hip. This way may not produce anything you may like.

thanks for the info and yep your right i was kinda going at it blind LOL i will get better at least i hope to be able to drink my mistake.:h

You can get citric acid at the supermarket ( if ascorbic is hard to find).. it's in the baking aisle.. one tablespoon per gallon will prevent your apple juice browning.
I think your apple juice wine will be ok .. and if it turns out a bit strong.. dilute with apple juice when you get round to drinking it ..

collecting wine making gear takes a bit of time.. airlocks, camden tabs, yeast and hydrometers are cheap though.

Allie :bt

Thank you all for your support i know iv just started and i can see how easy it can be to become hooked making wine and other stuff im looking at my next endevor maybe Mead?

thanks wade.

i did add more apple juice as i too was worried about the sweetness. and its doing good so far. Oh and i bought a hydormeter also iv been making a lot more small batches just playing around with diff flavors my lateset is a fresh strawberry/orange/white grape wine made it today

Latest posts

Back