Rookie mistake/ Never again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve made two batches of wine using two different kits without a hitch. This morning I opened a 6 gallon bucket of fresh juice purchased yesterday. I could smell it fermenting already and actually see the top moving.

I go to pitch bm4x4 and begin to give it a swirl. Within seconds, pink foam started rising to the top like a volcano. Despite my yelling “no, no, stop, stop it continued to rise and pour over the top. So after a good laugh and kicking myself profusely I began to wonder if I lost too much of my dry yeast for a good fermentation. I could see particles on the side of the bucket and on the table. Should I be concerned?

WV

Na I wouldn’t worry. Can’t let those buckets sit. They will take off every time. I also learned that from the school of hard knocks.
If you’ve got more yeast I would pitch it. Preferably EC1118 to give best chance to take over and finish.
If not able to get more yeast today i wouldn’t sweat it either. (Most?)Bm4x4 is in there. If it takes or not we will never know for sure.
Stir it up few times a day and hope she goes dry. Some nutrients would help too.

Na I wouldn’t worry. Can’t let those buckets sit. They will take off every time. I also learned that from the school of hard knocks.
If you’ve got more yeast I would pitch it. Preferably EC1118 to give best chance to take over and finish.
If not able to get more yeast today i wouldn’t sweat it either. (Most?)Bm4x4 is in there. If it takes or not we will never know for sure.
Stir it up few times a day and hope she goes dry. Some nutrients would help too.

The day after this mishap, I opened the cover and could see the surface swirling and popping. Could be the wild yeast, the BM4x4 or a combination. Would it be too late to pitch additional yeast 4 days from now? That would be a week since I started the bucket. Or should I just watch the hydrometer? Speaking of Hydrometers, can I get an accurate reading by placing the hydrometer directly into the bucket and not use a tube. Tried it. It stands up straight. No tilting.

Yes I always put the hydrometer directly in the primary bucket, only use the tube after the wine is in the carboy.

Latest posts

Back