Rookie Grape Growing/Vineyard Questions...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shwymie

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding a small vineyard I planted this past Winter in Mississippi.

I purchased several varieties of muscadines from Ison's Nursery (http://isons.com) and planted them this past December. 18 vines in total. The vines appeared to be dormant and what Ison's defines as "2 Year Bare-root - The majority of the muscadine plants we grow are 2 year bare-root. The average length of these muscadine vines are 2-4' with an excellent root system". The only thing I did was plant and stake them. I am planning on building a One-Wire Trellis system sometime over this coming Summer.

Several of the plants have multiple shoots and I staked the longest one. Most of the vines are now starting to bud.

My questions are the following:

1. Should I cut the shorter-lengthed shoots leaving only one shoot? I have read several conflicting posts on this, so I'm not sure exactly what to do.

2. I purchased grow tubes to use and I was wondering when should I install those (I was told not to do it during the Winter)?

3. Being lazy, I never had the soil conditions checked nor did I do anything to the ground/soil...just dug the holes and put in the vines....there are weeds/grass present. I was thinking of putting down a weed/landscape barrier fabric around each vine; being that I only have 18 plants, would this be worthwhile?

4. Except for watering, is there anything else I should do to the plant over the coming growing season?

Thanks for any comments and suggestions!

Evan

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding a small vineyard I planted this past Winter in Mississippi.

I purchased several varieties of muscadines from Ison's Nursery (http://isons.com) and planted them this past December. 18 vines in total. The vines appeared to be dormant and what Ison's defines as "2 Year Bare-root - The majority of the muscadine plants we grow are 2 year bare-root. The average length of these muscadine vines are 2-4' with an excellent root system". The only thing I did was plant and stake them. I am planning on building a One-Wire Trellis system sometime over this coming Summer.

Several of the plants have multiple shoots and I staked the longest one. Most of the vines are now starting to bud.

My questions are the following:

1. Should I cut the shorter-lengthed shoots leaving only one shoot? I have read several conflicting posts on this, so I'm not sure exactly what to do.

2. I purchased grow tubes to use and I was wondering when should I install those (I was told not to do it during the Winter)?

3. Being lazy, I never had the soil conditions checked nor did I do anything to the ground/soil...just dug the holes and put in the vines....there are weeds/grass present. I was thinking of putting down a weed/landscape barrier fabric around each vine; being that I only have 18 plants, would this be worthwhile?

4. Except for watering, is there anything else I should do to the plant over the coming growing season?

Thanks for any comments and suggestions!

Evan
Follow Ison's planting/growing/fertilization instructions that came with your plants and you will be fine! You can put your grow tubes on now, in your part of the country. You only want ONE main shoot going to your trellis wire!!

I am in Louisiana and I also started my vineyard this winter with vines from Ison's. Have you watched their videos on their website? They are pretty thorough. They also have a pdf with planting and pruning info as well as a little book for like $8 for sale on their site.

Latest posts

Back