Roger

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2178roger

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to know how to bring down acidity in my Marquette and Petite Pearl wine.
Thanks
Roger

Hi,
I would like to know how to bring down acidity in my Marquette and Petite Pearl wine.
Thanks
Roger

When you say "bring down acidity", do you mean lowering the pH (increasing the acid) or lowering the amount of acid (raising the pH)?

If you intend to lower the pH, as Julie recommended, use tartaric acid. If you intend to raise the pH, potassium bicarbonate or calcium bicarbonate are two additives that can accomplish that, as well as cold stabilization, depending upon your starting pH.

Roger, I've been working with homegrown Marquette grapes for 5 years. I finally hit on a good strategy this year. I added the equivalent of 1g of pot bicarb per liter of finished wine to my must. This took the TA from 12 to 10 and the pH from 3.1 to 3.4. I then fermented with 71b yeast. It is now thru MLF and the pH is 3.52 and the TA is 6.9. It's ready to go into the barrel and tasting great. If you're already through MLF, add pot bicarb depending on where your pH and TA is before also doing a cold stab. Go slowly with the pot bicarb additions, as the pH can jump in a hurry. I start with half as much as calcs call for. And taste as you go. Too much pb will provide off flavors.

Last edited:
One of the best ways is to let them ripen as much as possible to lower it naturally. I agree with michvin, go slowly with the bicarb as it can negatively affect flavor.

What about cold stabilization. I put my carboys of Petite Pearl outside in my shed during the winter.

Latest posts

Back