Rodent control

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocktop

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
The moles are ripping up my vineyard. What does everyone use for moles?
Also, as we head into winter what do you use for vole/mouse protection over the winter months so the don;t chew all the bark?

Thank you,

RT

I do nothing. They eat grubs and worms wont eat roots. I tried to get them with mole traps but it was never ending so I gave up. Doesn't seem to hurt the vines or production and they help to aerate the soil. If you use Grub X then you'll be might be drinking wine that's contaminated with Grub X.

The moles are ripping up my vineyard. What does everyone use for moles?

Moles create an unsightly mess, but they are more of an ally than a foe. They eat grubs, including Japanese beetle grubs. Consider applying milky spore to reduce the JB grub population. Get milky spore established over a few years, and the moles might move on to greener pastures.

Voles on the other hand are not your friend. My primary control is a small squad of barn cats.

H

Interesting, I will read more on that H.
Yah voles are my biggest worry. Tough to know what is going on until the snow melts...

I don't have a vineyard but I do have moles. Yes they eat grubs (Japanese beetle larva) but they also eat earthworms so they are difficult to remove by interrupting their food supply. After my Standard Poodle Gina died (and she was great at killing moles) I resorted to traps. One thing I learned from a professional and experience is that you don't have as many moles as you think you do. In other words, "they get around." Voles are a different story and they can destroy vegetation. Trapping is the only viable solution I have found for them.

BTW, a handy mnemonic is that Moles eat Meat and Voles eat Vegetables.

Ok sorry, just realizing the difference in names for critters in different regions.
What I referred to as moles are actually pocket gophers. Definitely more nefarious....

Latest posts

Back