Rocky Top Red - Apple Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCharles

Reaction score
Greetings friends,
I’d like to share a new apple wine concoction that I’ve come up with. I’ve decided to call it Rocky Top Red. Here is the gist of it. Early last week I was pressing my North Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. After pressing I saved the skins/yeast sludge. I ran down to our local apple orchard where I bought 12 gallons of apple cider. I added the cider to my fermenters and added the grape skins and sludge. I heated some water and dissolved sugar. I added sugar to bring the SG to 1.090. I figured there was already yeast on the skins and in the sludge, but I did add a yeast starter when the temperature of the apple cider was adequate. Note to that I had already added MLF bacteria so some of this made it into the blend. About 12 hours later, the concoction was fermenting away. The skins floated to the top and formed a cap just as if it were regular red wine. Several days ago the SG dropped to 1.000. Yesterday I pressed the skins and moved the wine to clean fermenters. Today I’ve racked the wine off the sludge into carboys. The wine has a lovely taste… nothing like an apple wine. It has a red wine character. Well, there ya go… Rocky Tope Red.
I figure I’ll ferment in the secondary for about six weeks, stirring now and then. Then I’ll rack it and move it to new fermenters. I expect I’ll sulfite then. I plan to continue sulfating every three months until I bottle. Due to the heat of my storage area, I’ll likely bottle in late spring.
The wine has a lovely ruby color. I'll post a photo later as the wine clears.
Perhaps you might find something interesting to do with your left over skins.

I forgot to mention that I checked the pH and adjusted with acid blend to 3.6.

Last edited:
This is my 2012 wine collection. The Rocky Top Red are the bottles on the left. Here is a breakdown of the wines.

Chilean Malbec - 6 gallons
Chilean Carmenere - 5 gallons
NC Cabernet Sauvignon -12 gallons
Rocky Top Red - 13 gallons (Apple wine with Cab Sauv skins)

You can get a glimpse of the bright red color of the Rocky Top in the 1 liter bottle.

2012 Oct-14-71-1.jpg

Thanks Dan, it has a nice crisp taste to it. I tucked several bags of skin in the freezer. Next season, when I get frozen juice from Chile, I plan to add them to it. I'll do that if I'm unable to get grapes in addition to the juice.

The point is to come up with wine we enjoy drinking. I feel certain this will fit the bill.

Back