Roasted Tomato Wine? I Went For It!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
compost. I gave it a good sniff, but wasn't inspired to taste. Have you done anything interesting with yours?
It's kind of tough but you need to look beyond the wine and yeast smell and taste. Your tomato pulp might have been good in a soup or chili.
OR.........
I made a Black Hungarian Dessert Wine Pulp Jam.
Jams and jellies are the obvious first choice but I hope to try different pulp uses in the future. And yes, it's delicious.

BH dess 4.jpg

Here's an interesting picture. Roasted vs raw.

View attachment 95878
That's really interesting!!
Similar to my experience with butternut squash. Now will there also be a flavor difference? I guess time will tell for both if us.

Oh, and I'm starting to use my labelmaker in the wine room. too! 😄

That's really interesting!!
Similar to my experience with butternut squash. Now will there also be a flavor difference? I guess time will tell for both if us.

Oh, and I'm starting to use my labelmaker in the wine room. too! 😄
I've got all kinds of stuff going on. Labels, stickers, marker right on the jug, Bungs, airlocks, caps with plastic wrap and elastics. I guess it all depends on how I feel that day, or what I have seen on WMT. 😄

Vinny, which was raw tomato and which was roasted? The clearer one (21) looks like mine which was a blend of raw fermentation and a second batch from canned juice.

Thanks. It is interesting that the canning process did not darken my juice.

Thanks. It is interesting that the canning process did not darken my juice.
There is something about roasting the whole tomato. I 'fire roast' mine on the bbq. I do it to all my canned tomatoes and they come out deep red compared to orange if you don't roast. It's not a heat thing, because they are orange if you boil to remove the skins. Google won't tell me why, but it certainly concentrates the color.

I'm in sunny Florida for a couple of months and stumbled across a small winery where I thought of you guys on WMT. I saw the Tomato / Pepper wine! I am amazed at the different wines you guys attempt to make.

Anyway, I'm standing in the middle of a store with my wife telling the story of how this is not the first time I've seen or heard of this. I know people on WMT. BigDaveK - Vinny

I was really disappointed in the roasted tomato wines when I last racked. The raw tomato was like a nice chardonnay, I wouldn't know it wasn't made from grapes. I have two trains of thought on this, If you can make a really good wine out of something cheap, that's great. If I can use up a bumper crop of tomatoes or carrots and have a daily drinker, I'd be happy. Some of the experiments I want to taste the main ingredient though. I was pleased that the raw tomato was going to be something I could play with guests, a glass of white? What do you think it is made from?

The roasted tomato batches both had a very unpleasant deep tomato paste like flavor, maybe with a hint of dirt/burnt shoe rubber. That has since mellowed and I would enjoy sipping on a glass of either now. Only at the 4 month mark and I am considering bottling.

Last edited:
Roasting never entered my consciousness with tomato wine. We make around 20gal/yr only using end of season cherry tomatoes. Nothing else. It's a dry white most like cabernet sauvignon in grape speak.

Back