Roasted Almond Wine.. It's your goy's fault!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the flavor is in the oils, so to me it is good news that part of the oil will be held in solution by the alcohol. I wonder if adding a small amount of an emulsifier such as lecithin would help to retain more oil and therefore flavor in solution.
Or possibly Vegetable Glycerin.?
I recently discovered oil on top of some Sumac wine I bottled.. then remembered I added a small quantity of Açaí juice to my first ferment. It has oils in it.
Never noticed until it was in the bottles. 🙄

So now I'm wondering just how much flavor is in the nut oil?
Since sugar has hydrophilic and lipophilic traits, would it be worth making a nut dessert wine with higher ABV and residual sugar?

I'm kicking myself for not tasting the little bit of hazelnut oil I had at racking.
I had some floating on the surface of my sample. It was nutty, but I can't say oil added anything positive to the bouquet, mouth feel, etc.

I really want to try hazelnut, but haven't found any options, yet. I bought an almond hazelnut nut spread I was hoping to play with, but they might as well have just pulled hazelnut off the ingredient list from what I can taste. I already have an almond wine, so the search for nuts continues!

I had some floating on the surface of my sample. It was nutty, but I can't say oil added anything positive to the bouquet, mouth feel, etc.

I really want to try hazelnut, but haven't found any options, yet. I bought an almond hazelnut nut spread I was hoping to play with, but they might as well have just pulled hazelnut off the ingredient list from what I can taste. I already have an almond wine, so the search for nuts continues!
My hazelnut had less than a half teaspoon of oil. I used my baster and then a paper towel to clean the surface, I forgot to clean the plastic cup where I put the oil and tasted it this morning. Like you with yours, very anticlimactic. I could identify the smell and taste but maybe that;s because I knew what it was.

Unless there are new insights I'll probably try a dessert wine next year, maybe doubling the nuts.

Good luck finding hazelnuts! Mine don't seem to last more than 4 months in the shell. They start to dry and shrivel.

@vinny and @David Violante I can't believe we've been away from this thread for almost a year!

This one refused to clear for me, totally opaque. CJJ Berry's banana water did the trick - I was curious.

Bottled this morning. Had to back sweeten to bring out the flavor. During bench testing the flavor increased with sugar but it also became annoyingly sweet to me. That might be a clue as to what kind of wine needs to be made to highlight the flavor.
Overall I'm happy but if I make it again I'll do a dessert wine, more nuts, step fed. And I'm wondering about more nuts in secondary or bulk?
What's the latest on your nut wines?

20231203_112516-Edit.jpg

Uhmm,,,,, I think I put mine on oak about 5 months ago. I tasted it after a few weeks and decided to leave it longer. I completely forgot about it.

I'm going to try to make some time this afternoon. If I get to it, I will update!

I’ll tell you if you used almond dust , plus a decent cheap or hight end kit ( white).
And added Almond extra the wine should come out just like amaretto

@BigDaveK apologies~ I was at a state conference. I’ve been eyeing the Pecan Wine each time I go into the ‘cellar’, knowing it’s time to do ‘something’ with it. Last night I sampled it and alone it’s nice, very pecan forward, but a tinge of a harsh finish. I added some maple syrup which added a very nice complexity and reduced the harshness. I will bottle a couple this way. I then added a little brandy to the glass and wow, another amazing direction. Either would go well with an orange zest too. Below is a picture of the color, I’ll bottle the trials today. The headspace is from sampling…

IMG_3204.jpeg

@BigDaveK apologies~ I was at a state conference. I’ve been eyeing the Pecan Wine each time I go into the ‘cellar’, knowing it’s time to do ‘something’ with it. Last night I sampled it and alone it’s nice, very pecan forward, but a tinge of a harsh finish. I added some maple syrup which added a very nice complexity and reduced the harshness. I will bottle a couple this way. I then added a little brandy to the glass and wow, another amazing direction. Either would go well with an orange zest too. Below is a picture of the color, I’ll bottle the trials today. The headspace is from sampling…

View attachment 108206
Fantastic!

Your various additions make me think how easy it would be to have 6 wines in primary constantly - variations and experiments are limitless!

And your addition of brandy and your favorable impression bolsters my thought that perhaps a dessert or fortified wine is the way to go for nut wines. On my list!

Latest posts

Back