Roasted Almond Wine.. It's your goy's fault!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my list.
Your results will determine if it stays there or gets removed.
Good luck!
I'm going to admit that with this one... I don't have a clue. It's a crap shoot, so I mixed up D47, QA23, AND 71B. Added in some of the must and gave it an hour to acclimatise, then pitched. I kept the temps low. around 21/69. I used golden sugar and white and brought the SG to 1.100. It's almond wine I figure I can't mess it up, it's either going to be ok, or it's not.

I added a lemon and the rind, and the juice of a clementine. The smell is reminiscent to an orange chocolate.

Only time will tell with this one. It literally took me 5 minutes to decide I was making it. The almonds were on the counter when I saw the post and I was off and running.

Last edited:
I have asked for the list repeatedly.I am curious to see all the different things he has tried and any impressions of the ones he has tasted. He has not been very forthcoming!
As of last month, Dave started 53 wines in 52 weeks. All jokes aside, keeping track of all that is a major feat in itself.

I have far fewer balls in the air, and I've found gaping holes in my online records, which I have been filling in. Some times it feels like -whack-a-mole!

I'm going to admit that with this one... I don't have a clue. It's a crap shoot, so I mixed up D47, QA23, AND 71B. Added in some of the must and gave it an hour to acclimatise, then pitched. I kept the temps low. around 21/69. I used golden sugar and white and brought the SG to 1.100. It's almond wine I figure I can't mess it up, it's either going to be ok, or it's not.

I added a lemon and the rind, and the juice of a clementine. The smell is reminiscent to an orange chocolate.

Only time will tell with this one. It literally took me 5 minutes to decide I was making it. The almonds were on the counter when I saw the post and I was off and running.
If I make this I'll actually have to...gulp...buy almonds. I'll do it if it's worth it.
However....
I have hazelnuts, black walnuts, and hickory nuts. Hazelnuts are easy to process so they'll be my first nut wine foray. Black walnuts and hickory nuts are a PITA to process. They're collected but I don't know if I'll get around to processing.
I'm also toying with the idea of making nut milk and using that. We'll see...

What quantity of almonds did you use?

If I make this I'll actually have to...gulp...buy almonds. I'll do it if it's worth it.
However....
I have hazelnuts, black walnuts, and hickory nuts. Hazelnuts are easy to process so they'll be my first nut wine foray. Black walnuts and hickory nuts are a PITA to process. They're collected but I don't know if I'll get around to processing.
I'm also toying with the idea of making nut milk and using that. We'll see...

What quantity of almonds did you use?
I started with a cup/5 oz roasted, then read a post on mead that said sweet almonds are pretty light compared to bitter, so I added 2 oz of raw chopped to the pot.

I would suggest hazelnut over almond, anyway. This was literally because they were on the counter. I was gonna make almond milk. This just sounded like more fun. 😄

I did not realize being a non-jewish gentile would adversely affect wine.... :)

I think you might have a typo there. Right? :cool:
No, that's Vinny's Brooklyn accent coming out! It happens when he gets excited.

Or, maybe a typo.;) I figured someone was gonna have something to say, but you can't edit a title.

As of last month, Dave started 53 wines in 52 weeks. All jokes aside, keeping track of all that is a major feat in itself.

I have far fewer balls in the air, and I've found gaping holes in my online records, which I have been filling in. Some times it feels like -whack-a-mole!
He's been busy, that number musta jumped significantly.

No, that's Vinny's Brooklyn accent coming out! It happens when he gets excited.

Or, maybe a typo.;) I figured someone was gonna have something to say, but you can't edit a title.
That is funny. Good retort. Any** my post was intended to be also funny. So glad we can laugh together. :)

**Edit: Any? Good grief... my own typo. Ahem.... Meant "And" of course.... red faced.... haha. Joke on me. ;)

Last edited:
The interest in my wines is surprising.
I like the unusual and I have a boatload of natural curiosity...and I like wine. That means walking in my basement is like an agility drill.

Wine #63 is in primary right now.

Can't tell you which on my list haven't been made. That would spoil the surprise(s)!
And I don't really like talking about them too much until they're done and bottled - and most are still in bulk.

I will say I just bottled my sassafras wine that is everything- and more - than I hoped for. It's essentially a tea wine and I was expecting it to be thin. Far from it! Great flavor, great mouth feel and I didn't add raisins or bananas or concentrate. One of my favorites!

Getting back to the almond wine, when the time comes I wonder what back sweetening with a bit of brown sugar would do?

The interest in my wines is surprising.
I like the unusual and I have a boatload of natural curiosity...and I like wine. That means walking in my basement is like an agility drill.

Can't tell you which on my list haven't been made. That would spoil the surprise(s)!
And I don't really like talking about them too much until they're done and bottled - and most are still in bulk.

I will say I just bottled my sassafras wine that is everything- and more - than I hoped for. It's essentially a tea wine and I was expecting it to be thin. Far from it! Great flavor, great mouth feel and I didn't add raisins or bananas or concentrate. One of my favorites!

Getting back to the almond wine, when the time comes I wonder what back sweetening with a bit of brown sugar would do?
Wellllll... I have a list too, ya know. ;) 😄

I'm thinking maybe a little vanilla in secondary. The trouble is I want a comparison, so maybe when I bottle?

That is quite a thing. Today I should be able to pick up my AIO wine pump accessories. I have been waiting on them to bottle. Once done I will be putting 5 more kits into primary for somewhere around 90 gallons made. It will put me up wine #27.. Almond was #22. We may be close to the same amount of wine made, but I am nowhere near your.... Variety.

How do you do it? 60 jugs, or are you bottle aging a lot of them?

Latest posts

Back