RJ Spagnols RJS Winery Series change

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vernsgal

Just me
Reaction score
I know I saw posts regarding the change to the RJS Winery Series but couldn't find the post it was mentioned in. So if you haven't already seen ,here it is

EPWSBrandEmailENG.jpg

Sadly, that probably means the cost of Winery Series kits just jumped and the quality probably remained the same. If that is the case, it stinks.

That's one possibility, but they clearly say "all your...favourite...Winery Series" and "several of your top selling En Primeur" so in reality it sounds like they are simply consolidating the brands and getting rid of some of the less popular (read: too expensive) EP kits. That tells me they won't be jacking up the price much, if at all.

That's one possibility, but they clearly say "all your...favourite...Winery Series" and "several of your top selling En Primeur" so in reality it sounds like they are simply consolidating the brands and getting rid of some of the less popular (read: too expensive) EP kits. That tells me they won't be jacking up the price much, if at all.

I hope you're right! Since they will all become En Primeur brand, I assumed they will have the EP price point. I have only made 1 EP kit and, at 2 +years, that amarone is still unimpressive. I would rather drink a Vinifera Noble amarone (with josewines tweaks) than the EP.

I hope I am reading too much into this announcement. Wouldn't be the first time.:?

To be fair, it says that they will both merge to become the "En Primeur Winery Series."

Valid point. I missed that. Guess I'll just have to wait and see just like everyone else. (Patience isn't one of my strengths.) In the meantime, I may have to pick up my favorite WS kits just to be sure I have them available.

http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/About/News

I saw this on the RJS website. They listed all of the wines that will be under each label. They are going to have 2 amarones in the en primeur winery series. Anyone know what they mean by classico? Or how the two may be different?

Interesting!

I would be shocked if it were not the case that one of the Amarones was the former En Primeur, and the other was the former Winery Series. Of course, I don't have a guess as to which will be which!

In Valpolicella Classico refers to the lower quality wine so I predict the CC Winery Series version is the Classico version.

Not sure about that. The reds all listed are the old winery series wines and they dont have the word Classico. I will ask tomorrow at my LHBS and see if he has any info I can pass along

cheers

Not sure about that. The reds all listed are the old winery series wines and they dont have the word Classico. I will ask tomorrow at my LHBS and see if he has any info I can pass along

cheers

I think the Classico term is used to differentiate the two Amarones since they kept a version from both the original WS and the original EP in the new combined series. Are they any others can you see that overlap?

Last edited:
In Valpolicella Classico refers to the lower quality wine so I predict the CC Winery Series version is the Classico version.

I would never consider anything from the Winery Series to be of lower quality. In fact, the WS Valpo is one of my absolute favorite wines in this series.

I would never consider anything from the Winery Series to be of lower quality. In fact, the WS Valpo is one of my absolute favorite wines in this series.

Don't confuse "lower" with "bad". The Winery Series are definitely premium kits. However, in the RJS lineup they are lower than En Primeur, and priced accordingly.

Here is what I found out yesterday. There are 2 red kits from the Ep line moving to the WS line. The Amarone and the Australia Shiraz. These 2 will have the dried grape skins, the others the wet ones. In the opinion of my LHBS, he thinks the classico will be the Ep Amarone since he can't see renaming the WS amarone that already exists. No brochures are out yet so he will have to wait till then to be sure. There was no memtion of a price increase during his conferrence call but he does expect a overall increase as our dollar is heading south for the winter.

cheers

To be fair, it says that they will both merge to become the "En Primeur Winery Series."

Here is what I found out yesterday. There are 2 red kits from the Ep line moving to the WS line. The Amarone and the Australia Shiraz. These 2 will have the dried grape skins, the others the wet ones. In the opinion of my LHBS, he thinks the classico will be the Ep Amarone since he can't see renaming the WS amarone that already exists. No brochures are out yet so he will have to wait till then to be sure. There was no memtion of a price increase during his conferrence call but he does expect a overall increase as our dollar is heading south for the winter.

cheers

The brochure says that the lines are merging. The are going to rename ALL of the wines as "En Primeur Winery Series." Right now, the EP Amarone and the EP Shiraz come with dried skins. (http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/products/brand/En-Primeur)

Not sure what your point is. I was just passing along info that the dealer passed on to me. If you wait for the websites of these companies to get your info, open a bottle or two, it may take awhile.

cheers (new x-mas drink - eggnog and Fireball Whiskey - yum yum)

Not sure what your point is. I was just passing along info that the dealer passed on to me. If you wait for the websites of these companies to get your info, open a bottle or two, it may take awhile.

I think the point is that, based on your post, your LHBS said the Winery Series wasn't changing names and the EP was "moving" to the Winery Series.

In fact both series are being renamed and as such you can't know which will become the Classico simply from the "Winery Series" name.

It sounds like dried vs. wet skins will be the key sign to know which was formerly CC and which was EP.

Back