RJS Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveR87

Junior
Reaction score
I’m so happy I found this forum! We just bottled our first kit after bulk aging for a year and were so excited by the taste that we decided to do another. This time we are going to do an RJS Super Tuscan with skins. When I opened the kit I noticed it has 2 packets of oak chips. However, the directions only say to add oak chips at the beginning to the primary.

Should I add them all right at the beginning or is there a better way to stagger them to get more oak flavor? Thanks for any advice on this kit.

Last edited:
I’m so happy I found this forum! We just bottled our first kit after bulk aging for a year and were so excited by the fast that we decided to do another. This time we are going to do an RJS Super Tuscan with skins. When I opened the kit I noticed it has 2 packets of oak chips. However, the directions only say to add oak chips at the beginning to the primary.

Should I add them all right at the beginning or is there a better way to stagger them to get more oak flavor? Thanks for any advice on this kit.
I typically add some in the fermenter and some during bulk-aging.

Both packs in primary for me. If I want additional oak, I use cubes during bulk aging. The chips are good for tannin addition.

I tasted my first batch of this at a wrinkly old 8 weeks today and it’s very pleasant as is for a patio wine in my estimation. Don’t misunderstand, it’s one dimensional and a shadow of what I expect it to be in a year or two, but I’d be content to enjoy a glass or two with good company as it is now.

Jbo

Oh. It has been on 45 grams of medium toast Hungarian oak for three weeks. Otherwise, completely per the instructions.

Jbo

Latest posts

Back