RJ Spagnols RJS Super Tuscan - sulphur smell in secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattlandry

Junior
Reaction score
Should I be concerned: I started a En Primeur Super Tuscan on 11/11, kept it under airlock but I did vigorously stir it and punched the bag down twice each day. I was getting some sulphury odor during the last 4-5 days in primary, but the stirring drove the smell away. I racked to secondary last night after it read 1.010, but this morning, I am still noticing a slight sulphury smell from the carboy. Cause for concern and what, if anything, to do about it?

Should I be concerned: I started a En Primeur Super Tuscan on 11/11, kept it under airlock but I did vigorously stir it and punched the bag down twice each day. I was getting some sulphury odor during the last 4-5 days in primary, but the stirring drove the smell away. I racked to secondary last night after it read 1.010, but this morning, I am still noticing a slight sulphury smell from the carboy. Cause for concern and what, if anything, to do about it?

I wouldn't be concerned just yet. If you start with clean/sanitized equipment, there's very little that could go wrong - this is especially true if you're not tweaking the kit heavily. Hearty reds, like this Super Tuscan, will sometimes give off a sulphur, earthy smell in the primary. But, it will dissipate pretty quickly. I think it has to do with the mix of hearty Italian grape juice and dark toast oak chips (My amarone with the Hungarian chips did the same thing).

Stay the course, keep it clean and be patient.

I recently had a Sangiovese that exhibited a similar odor. I splash-racked off the lees and it seems to be fine.

I wouldn't worry unless you start seeing something growing on the surface of your wine.

Latest posts

Back