RJS Super Tuscan & Oak Spiral type

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I read somewhere in another thread, that you can over oak. But, this thread claims that if you leave spirals or staves in longer than a few weeks, they give up their flavor and PH and it doesn’t matter if you leave them in longer.

I’ve been leaving mine in for a couple months. So, at that point, it doesn’t matter because they are used up? Or, how could someone over oak with staves or spirals?

So, I read somewhere in another thread, that you can over oak. But, this thread claims that if you leave spirals or staves in longer than a few weeks, they give up their flavor and PH and it doesn’t matter if you leave them in longer.

I’ve been leaving mine in for a couple months. So, at that point, it doesn’t matter because they are used up? Or, how could someone over oak with staves or spirals?
I over oaked once or twice with spirals back when I was still figuring things out. . They seem to be the most efficient way to oak, but a pain to retrieve from the carboy unless you break them into smaller pieces. After some time I switched to Xoakers which are the easiest to deal with, but eventually switched to cubes as they are significantly cheaper than Xoakers.

Over oaking -- by putting too many spirals in or going with a heavier toast than really desired.

My b-in-l overoakd a Chardonnay -- too much oak chips and left in too long. I tasted it at the 5 year mark, and it tasted a lot like the bar we were sitting at. @Brian55's Chateau du Plywood is probably better, as this Chardonnay never mellowed out.

I typically use oak cubes, I drop 'em in the carboy or neutral barrel, and there they sit until I'm ready to bottle. I like oak as a seasoning, not a flavoring, so I go lighter on quantity.

Keep in mind that adding more is FAR easier than taking some out.

The oak will continue flavoring the wine for 3 to 5 months Eventually it tapers off and it doesn't matter if the wood is in there or not. This will depend on the wood and the relative body of the wine. Heavier wine handle oak better than lighter wines.

I over oaked once or twice with spirals back when I was still figuring things out. . They seem to be the most efficient way to oak, but a pain to retrieve from the carboy unless you break them into smaller pieces. After some time I switched to Xoakers which are the easiest to deal with, but eventually switched to cubes as they are significantly cheaper than Xoakers.
I have some Xoakers that I'd like to use up 4 bulk aging...

Any recommendations for how many in a 6gal Nebbiolo batch....they are French Med+ toast. (I typically use 1 oak spiral)

I'll be bulk aging for 6-8months.

Cheers!

I have some Xoakers that I'd like to use up 4 bulk aging...

Any recommendations for how many in a 6gal Nebbiolo batch....they are French Med+ toast. (I typically use 1 oak spiral)

I'll be bulk aging for 6-8months.

Cheers!
They recommend 8 per carboy, but I've found that to be on the weaker side. I would start with that and depending on your preference you can always add more as it ages. It takes a long time for too much oak to dissipate, much easier to add more and age a bit longer if it's not quite where you'd like it.

Back