RJS Super Tuscan & Oak Spiral type

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Hi all...

Started making vino kits last Oct & have been using an Oak spiral in bulk aging rather than the provide chips. I'm getting ready to start an RJS Super Tuscan an am wondering if it would be better using a toasted American or French Oak spiral. So far I've been using a single Med Toast American oak spiral in my previous three red kits (Trinity, Tempranillo & Malbec)....all of which I'm bulk aging for 6months before bottling.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers ✌

Hi all...

Started making vino kits last Oct & have been using an Oak spiral in bulk aging rather than the provide chips. I'm getting ready to start an RJS Super Tuscan an am wondering if it would be better using a toasted American or French Oak spiral. So far I've been using a single Med Toast American oak spiral in my previous three red kits (Trinity, Tempranillo & Malbec)....all of which I'm bulk aging for 6months before bottling.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers ✌
Use whatever spiral you like, morewine.com has a section that describes the benefits and flavor profiles of each type. The chips should be added at the start of fermentation, not for aging. Cubes or spirals for aging.

"Tradition" may indicate a specific oak, e.g., French oak with French grapes (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, etc.), but what you want is the important thing.

I took the time to look for the info @Brian55 recommended, and in 4 short pages it provides a lot of information!

https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/oakinfopaper09.pdf
One thing to consider is that you are not limited to one type of oak -- you can use multiple types of oak products to produce a hybrid result. Spirals are not as easy as cubes for this type of mixing, but it gives you the idea.

"Tradition" may indicate a specific oak, e.g., French oak with French grapes (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, etc.), but what you want is the important thing.

I took the time to look for the info @Brian55 recommended, and in 4 short pages it provides a lot of information!

https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/oakinfopaper09.pdf
One thing to consider is that you are not limited to one type of oak -- you can use multiple types of oak products to produce a hybrid result. Spirals are not as easy as cubes for this type of mixing, but it gives you the idea.
Thanks! Will check it out ✌

I used a American Oak Spiral, medium toast, with an RJS Super Tuscan. Turned out great.
Two other batches of Super Tuscan I made with only the oak provided turned out great too.
Right now I have the American Oak Spiral, medium toast in yet another batch of Super Tuscan. It's a good choice.

Last edited:
I used a American Oak Spiral, medium toast, with an RJS Super Tuscan. Turned out great.
Two other batches of Super Tuscan I made with only the oak provided turned out great too.
Right now I have the American Oak Spiral, medium toast in yet another batch of Super Tuscan. It's a good choice.
I used One medium toast American Oak spiral too...bulk aged for 6months. Barrel tastings have been fantastic....bottling it up after Thanksgiving.

Is definitely on my 2022 list to do again.

Cheers!

I just got a RJS Super Tuscan kit. When using cubes or spirals with your kit do you not use the 2 bags of chips with the kit?

I followed the directions that came with the kit which will yield a great tasting wine. The Bordeaux cubes were in addition to the supplied cubes and added post filtering.

Are you using the spiral in addition to the 2 bags of chips in the kit?

Chips and powder go into primary. Cubes and spirals are added during bulk aging, to taste.

Keep in mind that this has been consistently one of, if not "the" best wine kits available. It will turn out great, unless you go way too far with the tweaks, or really mess something up.

Chips and powder go into primary. Cubes and spirals are added during bulk aging, to taste.

Keep in mind that this has been consistently one of, if not "the" best wine kits available. It will turn out great, unless you go way too far with the tweaks, or really mess something up.
This was the first kit I made a couple of years ago… and I messed it up. Not with additives, but I followed the directions and bottled as directed. It wasn’t properly degassed and it is still fizzy now. When I open a bottle now, I decant it and stir with a fork and let it sit a bit. What a waste. I steered clear of kits after that. Last year I did a RJS Rosso Grande, cheaper than the ST, but bulk aged it for 9 months and used my vacuvin on it prior to bottling, and it is a much better wine. Learned that lesson the hard way.

I followed the directions that came with the kit which will yield a great tasting wine. The Bordeaux cubes were in addition to the supplied cubes and added post filtering.
When using the oak cubes with your kit how many ounces do you put in?

This was the first kit I made a couple of years ago… and I messed it up.
The best learned lessons are often the most painful ones. Although in your case, the wine is still drinkable, so the lesson was far less painful than pouring out the batch!

Have you tried pouring through an aerator?

How many ounces of cubes do you use?

It was a 3oz pack that was sold by Midwest Supplies for the 6 gallon batch. Taste it often as it absorbs the oak flavor pretty quickly.
How long do you leave the oak cubes in the wine?

Latest posts

Back