RJ's Spagnols imitate Global

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sag12

Junior
Reaction score
It seems that RJ's Spagnols announced last week that they will take the same path as Global (WinEx, Vineco) did last year, that they will also downsized theirs kits.
So 18lt becoming 14lt, 16 lt Cru Select becoming 12 lt, etc

It seems that RJ's Spagnols announced last week that they will take the same path as Global (WinEx, Vineco) did last year, that they will also downsized theirs kits.
So 18lt becoming 14lt, 16 lt Cru Select becoming 12 lt, etc
I guess they expect to save some money in storage and shipping. Hopefully I will be the same quality

No details from the company directly. My retailer told me that it was communicate to them last week. Brand names would remain the same but with different sizes.

Got this from them in a email.

😥😥😥

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210121-084425_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210121-084425_Chrome.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 45
You just knew they would all follow suit. Happens all the time. For the consumer, it amounts to a huge price increase without actually increasing the price.

Only if the quality drops - I've not seen any drop in quality in the WE kits as a consequence of the change.

So depressing. I just don't get the marketing logic:

Pre-2020: "Our premium kits are higher-quality because we don't concentrate the juice as much!"
2020: "We're concentrating the juice more in our premium kits but it doesn't change the quality!"

Both can't be true.

So depressing. I just don't get the marketing logic:

Pre-2020: "Our premium kits are higher-quality because we don't concentrate the juice as much!"
2020: "We're concentrating the juice more in our premium kits but it doesn't change the quality!"

Both can't be true.
[/QUOTE

Less is more. More or less. 😁

Has anybody tried the WineLovers premium (Heavy-bodied) kits? They come in 16L packs with free shipping. The only thing I have heard about them is their customer service is terrible.

Has anybody tried the WineLovers premium (Heavy-bodied) kits? They come in 16L packs with free shipping. The only thing I have heard about them is their customer service is terrible.
I was just looking at those yesterday and wondering the same thing. Can't find much info on their quality. Here's a link to an earlier discussion of these on here:
Other - "Wine Lovers" kit on Amazon

Last edited:
I’ve tried multiple Wine Lovers kits. Tempranillo, Syrah, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon blanc, Viognier, and reisling. About 9 in total. All the 18 litre kits. I went that way in 2017 to 2019 due to the lower price when they had sales and convenience delivered to my door. I also went that way as I was beginning with wine kits and wasn’t fully sold on the premium kits from others. Had to walk before running I guess! But notably with Wine Lovers you pay extra for anything above the concentrate like grape packs, oak, and dried raisins. I quickly learned these were needed Or the wine was bland.

The various wines turned out ok. In hind site now, like a mid tier kit from the others. That was fine vs local prices when I could get it delivered to my house for about cad$100 to $110 including the add ones. But now their prices have risen, and they don’t have the sales as often, or with significant reductions...

I have since moved on to mid or premium kits from the others due to buying them when on sale plus there is more selection. Now in my eyes there is no longer any real price advantage.

Last edited:
I’ve tried multiple Wine Lovers kits. Tempranillo, Syrah, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon blanc, Viognier, and reisling. About 9 in total. All the 18 litre kits. I went that way in 2017 to 2019 due to the lower price when they had sales and convenience delivered to my door. I also went that way as I was beginning with wine kits and wasn’t fully sold on the premium kits from others. Had to walk before running I guess! But notably with Wine Lovers you pay extra for any above the concentrate like grape packs, oak, and dried raisins. I quickly learned these were needed.

The various wines turned out ok. In hind site now, like a mid tier kit from the others. That was fine vs local prices when I could get it delivered to my house for about cad$100 to $110 including the add ones. But now their prices have risen, and they don’t have the sales as often, or with significant reductions.

I have since moved on to mid or premium kits from the others due to buying them when on sale plus there is more selection. Now in my eyes there is no longer any real price advantage.
Yeah, I pretty much stick to the premium kits myself rather than chasing a bargain and ending up with a wine that's just OK. For a dollar or two more per bottle you tend to get a much better tasting wine. I opened my first bottle of Winexpert Private Reserve Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand that was bottled two weeks ago. Tastes amazing and suspect it will get even better with a little more time

Latest posts

Back