RJS RQ "Big Shot" skin punch down question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roddog

Junior
Reaction score
Hello. New to kit winemaking but versed in beer, cider, and mead. Got the "Big Shot" Cab Sav/Merlot going, it comes with dry skins, a crapload of oak and RC212 for yeast. Fermenting under temperature control @ 77 (per instructions) and I did a half shot of Fermaid O as some have suggested this for 212.

The instructions say to punch down every few days and pull the skin bag when it gets under 1.020 (started @ 1.103). I've been punching the skin bag down a couple times a day and wonder if why it says to pull the skins when under 1.020. Any suggestions or thoughts on when the proper time is to pull the skins?

Hello. New to kit winemaking but versed in beer, cider, and mead. Got the "Big Shot" Cab Sav/Merlot going, it comes with dry skins, a crapload of oak and RC212 for yeast. Fermenting under temperature control @ 77 (per instructions) and I did a half shot of Fermaid O as some have suggested this for 212.

The instructions say to punch down every few days and pull the skin bag when it gets under 1.020 (started @ 1.103). I've been punching the skin bag down a couple times a day and wonder if why it says to pull the skins when under 1.020. Any suggestions or thoughts on when the proper time is to pull the skins?

I would leave those skins in until the sg hits just about 1.000 and fermentation is nearly complete. I would be punching down at least twice a day, also.

Latest posts

Back