RJS Port Style Kits - 2 at once

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putterrr

Reaction score
Looking for feedback from those than have done 2 kits at the same time. Did you add both sets or additives, bentonite-2 Yeast -4 , how did you handle the stabilizing and additives.

i have the black forest and toasted caramel. i want to start the bases together and then split them just prior to the f-pack addition.

any thoughts?

thx

Looking for feedback from those than have done 2 kits at the same time. Did you add both sets or additives, bentonite-2 Yeast -4 , how did you handle the stabilizing and additives.

i have the black forest and toasted caramel. i want to start the bases together and then split them just prior to the f-pack addition.

any thoughts?

thx
Made a couple WE ports at the same time. Used the yeast, bentonite, and So2 from both kits, skipped all the clarifiers. Time and racking takes care of that.

Thx for the replies.

If I'm going to increase the alcohol, i will do it after they are split up with brandy

So Brian, you used all 4 yeasts and both bentonites? thx

Question: your doing these at the same time but in different fermenters or doing the separately I'm confused.

Thx for the replies.

If I'm going to increase the alcohol, i will do it after they are split up with brandy

So Brian, you used all 4 yeasts and both bentonites? thx
I don't recall whether or not the WE kits had two yeast packets. But if they did, I'm sure I would have added all of them. Yes, both bentonites.

Question: your doing these at the same time but in different fermenters or doing the separately I'm confused.

Hi joe

want to do one fermentation for primary and secondary ( 2 kits at once) and then separate them for the F-pak addition

what do you think about that?

Thx for the replies.

thx
Brandy will change the taste. I have used both and I prefer golden grain. It is just pure alcohol and It is cheaper and does not change the taste

Brandy will change the taste. I have used both and I prefer golden grain. It is just pure alcohol and It is cheaper and does not change the taste

not actually using brandy but couldn't state what I may use due to posting rules

cheers

I be done both these kits,the black forest twice and the Caramel once .the black forest the first time after sitting for months the verdict was decent taste, no body. The second time I added blackberry,,oak 1 cup, tannins 1 tablespoon and finished with 1quart of simple syrup....2packs of ec1118 ...finish product was very good
.the caramel did mostly as directed add 1quart of simple syrup to the primary 1 tablespoon of instant coffee and that's it let it sit for a year finished product over all not bad won 4 silver's with it.all the works in the primary ,fpac as instructed... I have post these in the past.. good luck my friend you have to remember what caramel is in fact browned sugar and that it's .

Last edited:
I be done both these kits,the black forest twice and the Caramel once .the black forest the first time after sitting for months the verdict was decent taste, no body. The second time I added blackberry,,oak 1 cup, tannins 1 tablespoon and finished with 1quart of simple syrup....2packs of ec1118 ...finish product was very good
.the caramel did mostly as directed add 1quart of simple syrup to the primary 1 tablespoon of instant coffee and that's it let it sit for a year finished product over all not bad won 4 silver's with it.all the works in the primary ,fpac as instructed... I have post these in the past.. good luck my friend you have to remember what caramel is in fact browned sugar and that it's .

Interesting Joe, so one quart of syrup for each. do you know what your final ABV was? I would not have thought of instant coffee for caramel. will have to give this some thought

thx again

around 18% maybe a little less...the coffee does something on its own you have to try it to understand the results but it's good. another way of adding flavor is with this caramel based flavorings it works well.

Attachments

• 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 16a.jpg
    16a.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg