RJ Spagnols RJS Port kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry - duplicate post, and I didn't see your follow up. :slp

I added about 3/4 of a bottle. You need to go by taste though. I'd start with half a bottle. Gently stir and let it sit a few weeks to blend in.

@Boatboy24

Jim,

Another question....my raspberry chocolate, started on October 9, dropped all its sediment and should now be clear.
Did you say you let your port sit in carboy aging and then you added the brandy a few weeks prior to bottling? Or you added the brandy early in the game after it cleared and then let it aged?

i racked after the initial clearing and added brandy at that time. Stirred well, and let it sit for 2-3 weeks before racking one last time and bottling.

Did you say you let your port sit in carboy aging and then you added the brandy a few weeks prior to bottling? Or you added the brandy early in the game after it cleared and then let it aged?

IMHO, let it age with the brandy. It gives time for the flavors to blend. True port is fortified to stop the fermentation, so it is added really early in the process.

I would add it after the port has finished fermenting, and you have racked twice. Then the port should be relatively clear. You can then back sweeten and fortify at the same time. If you wait to back sweeten after fortifying then you can skip the K-sorbate (assuming you fortify to 20% abv).

Last edited:
Never bought brandy before so will head to the store this week to see what's available out there....

My 3gal carboy is to the top so adding brandy will give me an extra maybe 750ml bottle to put on the side and drink by new year's eve, maybe.

My post was deleted. No explanation, just deleted.

Yeah, happened to me a couple times. The moderators here are hypersensitive about certain things. Free speech isn't something they're too thrilled with.
:slp

Back