RJ Spagnols RJS Pinot Grigios - which to choose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowawine

Reaction score
I would like some advice. I'm looking for decent Pinot Grigio kit. Looks like RJS has several varieties and wanted to know if anyone can vouch for one over the other. There's a Grand Cru, a Cru Select, a Grand Cru International and the Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio. Obviously, there's a price difference but that really doesn't matter much, just want the better one.

Responses are much appreciated.

Last edited:
I have made the Grand Cru Pinot Gris. It is a great wine. Everyone that has had it loved it. I haven't tried the others but I do plan on making the Grand Cru again

I would like some advice. I'm looking for decent Pinot Grigio kit. Looks like RJS has several varieties and wanted to know if anyone can vouch for one over the other. There's a Grand Cru, a Cru Select, a Grand Cru International and the Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio. Obviously, there's a price difference but that really doesn't matter much, just want the better one.

Responses are much appreciated.
First, rule out the Orchard Breezin Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio. It's a Kiwi Melon flavoured wine. It doesn't make "a decent PG".

Second, where did you get your list of brands? The list of Pinot Gris/Grigio that I get from the RJS web-site is....
Cru Select, Premier Cru, Cellar Classic, Grand Cru, and Vino del Vida.

I haven't made any of them, but I have always liked the Cru Select kits. I listed the brands above in order of quality.

Steve

Last edited:
I just went through the wine kits offered by finevinewines.com to see what they offered, cause that's likely where I'd order from.

Just remember no matter where you buy from the most expensive kit is going to be the best quality .So if you want to try a brand and go the middle of the road one you should get a decent wine but not the best they have to offer . So that migth be a good way to go . Also how soon do you want to drink it ?

I just went through the wine kits offered by finevinewines.com to see what they offered, cause that's likely where I'd order from.
Well the rjs site does not have a Grand Cru International Pinot Grigio or Pinot Gris listed. There is a BC Pinot Noir though (which is on my list of kits I'd like to make but I'll probably make a better quality one instead).

Steve

I would agree with Darlene above that if money "doesn't matter much," as you said, it would make sense to go high-end, maybe the Cru Select. Of the ones you mention, I've made only the Grand Cru, and it was OK, but next time I make a PG, it'll be a bigger kit with a higher ceiling.

I bought the Grand Cru because I got it at a good sale price (about $38 if I recall) and it's been a good value, but I've since decided that with all the time and effort that goes into winemaking, I really want the good stuff.

Even if you made the Grand Cru, I wouldn't expect it to be good right away. I found it to be much better after a year than it was at 4 or 6 months or so.

Jim

Just remember no matter where you buy from the most expensive kit is going to be the best quality .So if you want to try a brand and go the middle of the road one you should get a decent wine but not the best they have to offer . So that migth be a good way to go . Also how soon do you want to drink it ?

When will I want to drink it or when will I really drink it are two different answers.. I'm thinking with these probably 9-12 months, is it necessary to age that long with a white like this?

Latest posts

Back