Other RJS or Winexpert Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesWine

Reaction score
Which one has the better port kit? Thinking about the new Winexpert bourbon vanilla port but I’ve heard people really liking some of the RJS kits.

I mainly have experience with the RJS dessert wines (2 Coffee, 1 Raspberry Mocha and 1 Caramel)--all of them are excellent. I've done one WE Apres, and it tastes very close to the RJS Coffee--with the edge going to RJS Coffee, but I wouldn't hesitate to do the Apres again. Others can chime in with their opinions but my guess is that any of the major brands would taste good.

I mainly have experience with the RJS dessert wines (2 Coffee, 1 Raspberry Mocha and 1 Caramel)--all of them are excellent. I've done one WE Apres, and it tastes very close to the RJS Coffee--with the edge going to RJS Coffee, but I wouldn't hesitate to do the Apres again. Others can chime in with their opinions but my guess is that any of the major brands would taste good.
When doing the dessert wine kits what size of carboy do you use?

One reason I asked this is that Winexpert has a new Vanilla Bourbon dessert wine that sounds interesting. But a lot of people talk about the RJS kits being really good. Haven't tried one of those.

When doing the dessert wine kits what size of carboy do you use?
I also use 3 gallon carboys for these dessert wines. There is always some headspace for me but @joeswine said no need to top up if you bottle close to their time frame. I've followed his suggestion on all of my dessert kits and all have turned out tasty. I think these kits are very forgiving.

I also use 3 gallon carboys for these dessert wines. There is always some headspace for me but @joeswine said no need to top up if you bottle close to their time frame. I've followed his suggestion on all of my dessert kits and all have turned out tasty. I think these kits are very forgiving.
Joe is right about not needing to top up. Note that if not bottling in the kit's stated time frame, it's safer to top up.

When making the dessert wines will 24 (375ml) bottles be enough for one kit?

When making the dessert wines will 24 (375ml) bottles be enough for one kit?

I'm going to say no but you will be close. I've made two choc/rasp, two icewines, and one mocha from Apres. I also bottle with 1-2 750ml for family or friend events. If six people are drinking one of my dessert wines its easy to get rid of a 750ml bottle! :D

One reason I asked this is that Winexpert has a new Vanilla Bourbon dessert wine that sounds interesting. But a lot of people talk about the RJS kits being really good. Haven't tried one of those.
I started the RJ’s toasted Caramel - planned for that to be my dessert wine this season. Then I saw the Vanilla Bourbon and couldn’t resist. So I’ll have 2 this season.

Back