RJ Spagnols RJS kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
Looking to restart my home winemaking with some RJS kits. What are the recommended shops to buy from these days? My quick search brought up winemakingsuperstore. Any feedback on that store?

- Thanks in advance -

I have dealt with them, mostly positive, but they sometimes are slow to ship. Have you looked at LablePeelers and the Finer Wine Kits? I made RJS exclusively for a number of years and Mosti before that. I have found that FWK makes a superior wine, as compared to either of the other brands. WE kits are better than they used to be and I will fall back to them if I'm wanting something different. After George died and Fine Vine Wines closed I stumbled around a bit until FWK came about. If you are adamant about RJS, their International kits are the ones to look for. Homebrewohio.com also offers RJS.

I have dealt with them, mostly positive, but they sometimes are slow to ship. Have you looked at LablePeelers and the Finer Wine Kits? I made RJS exclusively for a number of years and Mosti before that. I have found that FWK makes a superior wine, as compared to either of the other brands. WE kits are better than they used to be and I will fall back to them if I'm wanting something different. After George died and Fine Vine Wines closed I stumbled around a bit until FWK came about. If you are adamant about RJS, their International kits are the ones to look for. Homebrewohio.com also offers RJS.
"...dealt with them,..." meaning winemakingsuperstore or Florida southern?

Yes, I have made FWk and WE kits, but my bro-in-law prefers RJS. I will check out homebrewohio, have you bought from them?

-thanks!

Yes, I have made FWk and WE kits, but my bro-in-law prefers RJS. I will check out homebrewohio, have you bought from them?

-thanks!
Home Brew Ohio has been my go to for RJS ever since FVW in TX closed up. Never had an issue with them.

Home Brew Ohio has been my go to for RJS ever since FVW in TX closed up. Never had an issue with them.
I have, Brian. They charge sales tax on wine kits which are not taxable in Ohio. The kits are technically "food" which is not taxable. Other Ohio retailers, e.g. Label Peelers Grape and Granary do not tax kits. I sent an email more than a month ago, documenting my concern, to their owner and have no response as yet. I do not expect an answer at this point and I wont be dealing with them any longer. This probably explains why the offer "free" shipping on orders over $99.99. They have collected almost $8 in "sales tax" to defray part of the shipping cost.

There is no "Free Lunch."

Last edited:
I have, Brian. They charge sales tax on wine kits which are not taxable in Ohio. The kits are technically "food" which is not taxable. Other Ohio retailers, e.g. Label Peelers Grape and Granary do not tax kits. I sent an email more than a month ago, documenting my concern, to their owner and have no response as yet. I do not expect an answer at this point and I wont be dealing with them any longer. This probably explains why the offer "free" shipping on orders over $99.99. They have collected almost $8 in "sales tax" to defray part of the shipping cost.

There is no "Free Lunch."
Well that's annoying. I'm not in OH and haven't placed an order in a while but looking back at past invoices they never charged shipping or sales tax for kits, not even on equipment and carboys. So it probably has less to do with recovering shipping costs and more to do with a lazy webmaster. It should be fairly simple for them to separate grocery/food items from everything else.

Yeah, Home Brew Ohio has not ever charged me either, but I haven't done a lot of business with them. They do ship fast and the orders have all been accurate.
Well that's annoying. I'm not in OH and haven't placed an order in a while but looking back at past invoices they never charged shipping or sales tax for kits, not even on equipment and carboys. So it probably has less to do with recovering shipping costs and more to do with a lazy webmaster. It should be fairly simple for them to separate grocery/food items from everything else.
Maybe they don't charge you tax because you are out of Ohio. I don't know, but I have been overcharged more than $45 in the past 6 months and I have their order confirmations to prove it.

-thanks!
I've had good luck with Homebrew Ohio, and used them in part because they had free shipping on orders over $50. I noticed recently they have changed it to $100. I order from other suppliers too, but tend to look here first.

I've had good luck with Homebrew Ohio, and used them in part because they had free shipping on orders over $50. I noticed recently they have changed it to $100. I order from other suppliers too, but tend to look here first.
Seems everyone is raising the minimum purchase price to get free shipping.

They even have Cab for $99.
I would like to give these a try but in viewing the link to their website, I have more questions than answers.

My primary concern is yield and they state at one point "2.5-3 gallons of wine" and at another "3.75 to 4 gallons" which is quite a disparity.

I have no knowledge of California vintages, i.e. is there a superior vintage among the offerings because the musts are from 2020, 2021 and 2022?

Some buckets seem to come with the "additives kit" and some do not.

I do not understand this statement on machine picking vs. hand picking: "Machine picking gives you more workable grape must per pound than hand picking."

Can anyone offer insight?

Latest posts

Back