RJ Spagnols RJS Grand Cru International Collection Cali Zin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanxer82

Reaction score
Just started the RJS Grand Cru International Collection California Zinfandel. The SG was 1.095 at 78 deg F.
Added oak powder (light toast) oak infusion bag (med/dark toast) and grape skins.
This kit had the most juice I've ever used before. I'm surprised at how little water I needed to add compared to the other kits I've made.
The must tastes wonderful. I waited about 1/2 and hour and stirred aver few minutes to make sure the concentrate was fully incorporated then pitched the yeast (Lavlin EC1118)
So Excited! I named this one for my bride to be, Kat. (Lady Kathryn's Delight)

I've done two of the Grand Cru Internation wine kits: the cabernet, and the chardonnay. I've been REALLY happy with them. The chardonnay tastes fruity and oaky, delicious. The cabernet (must is where I'm at now) tastes like chocolate and grape goodness. I'm looking forward to what these turn out like, but everything I've tried so far is incredible. :br

I have 2 GCI kits in the bottle ,a Gwerts and Aust. Cab, they are 6 & 8 months old and they seem like they will be excellent. I tried a 375 bottle of Gwertz on sunday and it was wonderfull.

Bob

270 bob
You better get at drinking those two GCI kits you cam start to drink them as early as 2 to 3 months according to RJS I think they are as good as they are going to get but keep us posted.

Bob
I see your from Edmonton where do you purchase your RJ kits from?
Have you ever purchased any from a store in red deer called valantines?

Fuzz

I get my RJS kits from Winning Wines Plus. There are 4 in Edmonton. As Red Deer is 1 1/2 hrs from Edmonton, I have no need to go there unless I could get a super deal.

Bob

I wouldn't be in a rush to drink all of these - try to save a few of the cab sauvs for a year, 18 months and two years and see if they improve - I believe they will. That's the only way to find out for yourself how they evolve over time and whether or not you see any benefit to ageing wine.
How was the roast ( elk, perhaps?)?
.. Doug

Doug,

Do you think everyone from Alberta is a red neck hunter? Actually the roast was Whitetail :sm The wine was excellent with the deer. Now I'm ready for strawberry pie with lots of whipped cream and a wee dram of raspberry chocolate port. ::

Cheers,
Bob

You're making me hungry - only had a small bit of deer meat last fall ( one small doe among 6 guys - not good!!). But the port comment reminds me it's time to open a bottle of orange choc port ( not many left).
Enjoy .. Doug

Dugger
I wasnt impling he should drink them all at once, I meant that they are ready to drink now, because on RJS website they state the GCInternationals only need to be aged 2 to3 months for the reds, and 1 to 2 months for the whites, I agree 100% you have to leave some to age for longer periods.

270bob
If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for your GCI kits, I bought one in medecine hat just before christmas and I paid 84$ for a california syrah.

I'll be saving a few bottle from every batch I make. I want to have a selection at the wedding next year.

fuzzmeister,

I paid around the same price you did, around $80.00. I think in Alberta they will all be the same retail price...

Bob

I racked to secondary last week. Smells great.
The SG has dropped a little but has a bit more to go before it's ready. It's kinda cold so I put on the brew belt for now. Going to check on it soon and turn off the belt. Don't want to weaken the glass.

Latest posts

Back