RJ Spagnols RJS EP Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetGlide

Reaction score
After hearing so much good I finally had this kit delivered today. Hoping to put it together this weekend. You guys that have made it besides a yeast swap to BM 4x4 do you recommend any thing else like any FT or bumping up the SG? Want this to be as good as I’ve read.

Good decision on the yeast swap! I've had good results with substituting BM4X4 in Italian wines. BM4X4 appears to be as aggressive a fermenter as Lalvin EC-1118 and it leads to enhance varietal taste in the wine.

Yes I really like it. Have to watch it and it needs nutrients but I think it’s a great strain

why does it require nutrients? just asking.

First time I used it I used them at start of ferment and at 1/3 depletion as advised, had no off smell at all. Second time I forgot and after 2 days got the faint smell of rotten eggs, gave it a dose of Fermaid O and it was fine. I have used it 4x since each time with nutrients like the first never had another sulfur smell.

Last edited:
I made this kit with BM4x4 in 2018. Also used ferm and finish tannin, along with extra oak. Overall this has been a pretty decent kit but a bit fruit forward for my liking.

I have four Super Tuscan to ferment and plan on using BM4x4 on it.

My first experience using BM4x4 was with RJS Winemakers Trio Red (Cab Sauv/Syrah/Zinfandel). It turned out really great.

I use to do nutrient additions at the beginning and then 1/3 depletion. This has changed to performing 4 nutrient additions. The 1st addition is performed at inoculation, and the other three every subsequent day. Each addition gets 1/4 of the total amount of required nutrient. If fermentation reaches 1/3 depletion before all three additions are done, add all the remain nutrient. BM4x4 is a nutrient hog. So, for a 6 gallons of must, I use a total of 32 grams Fermaid-O which, in turn, means four 8 gram additions.

As one added note here: The yeast is propagated using GoFerm.

This method has been working out well for me, and I do not mind the extra work to get some really great wine.

Anyone have additional thoughts about this? ...thinking together, we will all make great vino!

So, for a 6 gallons of must, I use a total of 32 grams Fermaid-O which, in turn, means four 8 gram additions.
Out of curiosity, why this high dosage? You are using the amount recommended for ~21 gallons if I'm not mistaken.

I have four Super Tuscan to ferment and plan on using BM4x4 on it.

My first experience using BM4x4 was with RJS Winemakers Trio Red (Cab Sauv/Syrah/Zinfandel). It turned out really great.

I use to do nutrient additions at the beginning and then 1/3 depletion. This has changed to performing 4 nutrient additions. The 1st addition is performed at inoculation, and the other three every subsequent day. Each addition gets 1/4 of the total amount of required nutrient. If fermentation reaches 1/3 depletion before all three additions are done, add all the remain nutrient. BM4x4 is a nutrient hog. So, for a 6 gallons of must, I use a total of 32 grams Fermaid-O which, in turn, means four 8 gram additions.

As one added note here: The yeast is propagated using GoFerm.

This method has been working out well for me, and I do not mind the extra work to get some really great wine.

Anyone have additional thoughts about this? ...thinking together, we will all make great vino!

BM 4x4 is a moderate user of nitrogen, most kits come with some nutrients on board, probably enough for EC-1118. You may not need full dosage to change to 4x4, but you don’t want to leave too much food in there for other organisms to much on. Just food for thought.

DOAH! You all are all correct; that is way too much for a 23L kit. My standard batch for the winery is 4 kits (to fill a 100L tank). This is when I use 32 grams total (8 grams per 23L). Thank you for the correction.

I started my RJS ST about a month ago. I used the ingredients and directions as written and the fermentation went well. My only issue was that the skins included seemed to absorb a lot of the juice. I squeezed the mesh bag, and set it in a colander to drain, etc, but it was definitely a lot heavier when it was done that when it went in. This meant I had to really top it off after the first racking. Maybe I should have left the skins in longer, and maybe put them in loose. IDK if it would have helped.
I will bottle this next month as per directions if it looks clear, otherwise I’ll rack it and wait a while.

Always use the mesh bag. You will lose much more wine from the swamp (for lack of better terms) on the bottom of your fermenter fermenting the skins loose then the bag absorbs. I also found out the hard way that not being able to squeeze those skins really takes away from the body of the wine.

I started my RJS ST about a month ago. I used the ingredients and directions as written and the fermentation went well. My only issue was that the skins included seemed to absorb a lot of the juice. I squeezed the mesh bag, and set it in a colander to drain, etc, but it was definitely a lot heavier when it was done that when it went in. This meant I had to really top it off after the first racking. Maybe I should have left the skins in longer, and maybe put them in loose. IDK if it would have helped.
I will bottle this next month as per directions if it looks clear, otherwise I’ll rack it and wait a while.

This comes with those Genwine dried skins, right? I have never made a kit with those, but I would expect losing some liquid to them would be par for the course. I assume they add more goodness than they take away...

I made this kit a couple of years ago, as far as I remember, this kit like many kits, comes with 2 liters of wet grapes skins. If at the end of primary fermentation, the straining bag removed and pressed the juice of the bag into the fermenter, you should not lose any liquid, unless the volume of the diluted juice concentrate at start (before adding the straining bag) was not 23.5 lit.

This comes with those Genwine dried skins, right? I have never made a kit with those, but I would expect losing some liquid to them would be par for the course. I assume they add more goodness than they take away...

This kit comes with a crushed grape pack not the dried skins

Sorry, what do you mean by " I have stopped using the mesh bag and pressing the skins to get the juice out"

I now discard the mesh bag for any of my kits that include grape skins and allow the skins to be completely exposed to the wine. When I get ready to rack and discard the skins, SI press them to get all the juice out of them before tossing em. Yes, it can be messy, but I believe the quality of my wine as increased.

I understand, you add the the grapes skins directly to the juice without a bag for more soaking ,contact and extraction. Thx

Back