RJ Spagnols RJS EP Amarone stalled

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsiddall

Reaction score
I am making a RJS EP Amarone by the instructions and with the included EC-1118 yeast.

From the outset it was clear this was going to be a hot one as the juice alone came in at SG 1.111, and then adding 375 g of raisins at 60% sugar would bring it up to 1.115(!). After the first day I recorded an SG reading of 1.114 before it started dropping. The instructions say it (all EP wines I guess) should finish below 0.998. That works out to 15.9% ABV by Duncan/Acton or 15.4% by the traditional method.

However, 7 days later it is now stuck at 1.003. I have tried warming it up to 25 C and I have been pressing the skins and stirring the lees daily but SG has not moved in the past day or two. Today I racked into a carboy with an airlock.

Is there any hope of getting this dry or do I need to resign myself to a slightly off-dry Amarone?

Is your SG reading adjusted for temperature?

FWIW: I used the raisins in secondary on mine, and recorded an estimated SG of 1.109 (SG in primary stared at 1.104, and I estimated the raisins added .005). It finished at 0.996. I used BM45 yeast.

I say give it two weeks in secondary to see what it does. Sometimes the racking will wake things up a bit.

Is your SG reading adjusted for temperature?

FWIW: I used the raisins in secondary on mine, and recorded an estimated SG of 1.109 (SG in primary stared at 1.104, and I estimated the raisins added .005). It finished at 0.996. I used BM45 yeast.

I say give it two weeks in secondary to see what it does. Sometimes the racking will wake things up a bit.

Yes, all SG were temperature compensated to 20 C.

I will watch it for a few weeks and see what happens. I am a bit surprised EC-1118 didn't take it into the .9's.

BTW: I calculated 15.3%/14.8% ABV for yours. Definitely potent stuff!

How old is yours now and how did it turn out?

Last edited:
I will watch it for a few weeks and see what happens. I am a bit surprised EC-1118 didn't take it into the .9's.

I'm a little surprised too.

BTW: I calculated 15.3%/14.8% ABV for yours. Definitely potent stuff!

How old is yours now and how did it turn out?

Mine was pitched in Aug of 2013. I think its still a little hot, but really starting to show promise. My last bottle was pretty good. And I actually gave a bottle to my dad the other night and just got a text from him: "It was good, strong. I aired the first glass about 10 minutes. 2nd glass was very good." I'm anxious to hear how the second half of the bottle is a day later. ;)

Update: this never dropped below 1.003. I also checked the calibration of my hydrometer and it came in at 1.001@20 C in distilled water so that isn't the issue. Anyway, I just racked it into the barrel. I will see in a few years how it ends up.

Update: this never dropped below 1.003. I also checked the calibration of my hydrometer and it came in at 1.001@20 C in distilled water so that isn't the issue. Anyway, I just racked it into the barrel. I will see in a few years how it ends up.
Do you have an update? I have a Merlot that appears to be stuck at 1.003 and I'm wondering if it will taste sweet in a couple of years. I've read that it's nearly impossible to eek out the few remaining thousands to get it to .996 so I'm inclined to just leave it as is. It's a 12 gallon batch in extended maceration for another 6 weeks.

Is your ferment area really cool? I’ve had some ferments stall towards the end but after a good stir and some heat (I use a fish tank heater) it started right back up and ended at .990

Is your ferment area really cool? I’ve had some ferments stall towards the end but after a good stir and some heat (I use a fish tank heater) it started right back up and ended at .990
My fermentation room is 75 degrees. The must is the same temp and I use Tilt bluetooth hydrometers. I'll remove the skin bag, grab my drill and beat the tar out of it with my paddle stir wand. Good idea!

Your temp is definitely good to go. If you haven’t been consistently stirring and punching the cap down, I’m guessing that’s your issue.

George, what yeast are you using in the Merlot and, if you have the record, what yeast did you use in the Amarone? I am thinking that the high alcohol content could have killed the yeast.

Sorry George, please disregard. I just saw that you used EC1118. That should be good for your alcohol content. I assume you used the same on the Merlot.

Last edited:
George, what yeast are you using in the Merlot and, if you have the record, what yeast did you use in the Amarone? I am thinking that the high alcohol content could have killed the yeast.

Here are my notes so far on the Merlot: RJS Hightail Merlot started June 1, 2019 with RC 212, OG 1.103

The Amarone is not mine. I simply asked the one who originally posted for an update because the circumstances are similar.

As far as the ABV, from my calculations right now it’s roughly 13.13 - not enough to kill the yeast as far as I know. I did remove the bag of skins and gave it a good stir with my drill.

Last edited:
Did you perform any nutrient additions?

Here is the yest profile from Scott Labs:
RC212
===============================
Pinot Noir, Grenache, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chambourcin, Rosé Selected from fermentations in Burgundy, France, by the BIVB. Timely nutrient additions are recommended to avoid potential H 2 S production, particularly in low nutrient musts. Known for its ability to generate ripe berry, bright

Alcohol Tolerance 16% ABV
Competitive Factor Neutral
Fermentation Speed Moderate
Malolactic Compatibilty Good
Maximum Temperature 32°C (90°F)
Minimum Temperature 20°C (68°F)
Nutrient Demand Medium
Species S. cerevisiae

This thread has me somewhat worried, as a newbie. I started my first red kit a week ago and subbed RC212 for the EC-1118 that was in it. But I did add some nutrients on day 1 and day 3, based on what I'd read about RC212. I thought adding a third dose yesterday, but I'd seen warning to not add it after a certain point, so I figured I would leave well enough alone and hope the two doses were enough.

Seems ok so far, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This thread has me somewhat worried, as a newbie. I started my first red kit a week ago and subbed RC212 for the EC-1118 that was in it. But I did add some nutrients on day 1 and day 3, based on what I'd read about RC212. I thought adding a third dose yesterday, but I'd seen warning to not add it after a certain point, so I figured I would leave well enough alone and hope the two doses were enough.

DIYer, don't be nervous. This happens from time to time. I've made nearly 100 kits and this is the second time it's happened. And, it's very close to dry and in the long run, likely undetectable. However, I'm going to be cautious with my use of RC212 as I have another active ferment with RC212 throwing off H2S that I'm trying to remedy. So two at the same time and both anomalies for me.

Don’t sweat it, kits come with nutrients added, plus you added some. As long as you keep the other variables in order, it should be perfectly fine.

You really do not want to add more nutrient than required. But, it will not be devastating if you do.

Nutrients are only really needed while the yeast are growing and multiplying. Once the must has reached an SG of about 1.060, the yeast are in what I call "feeding frenzy" mode. At this point there is no advantage with supplying nutrients. I started using BM4x4 on the big reds. It is a nutrient hog and fortunately I have not any problems yet with H2S.

Back