RJ Spagnols RJS En Primeur Chilean Carménère

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Looking for feedback on RJS En Primeur Chilean Carménère.

I've never made a single varietal Carménère...only a blend that it was a part of.

Cheers!

I did this RJS kit, I believe last winter, and it's still in carboy aging. I've been considering bottling it sooner than I normally would because I'm short on 6 g carboys. I'll try to remember to grab a taste and let you know.

Followup to my OP.

Given the choice would you do the Carménère or Malbec in this RJS En Primeur kit lineup?

Cheers!

It's really your personal choice. I've made many of the En Primeur kits and they've all turned out very good. Some have to age longer to get to that level but all get to that very good level.
Last time I chose the Carménére because I had never heard of it so thought I'd give it a try. You can't go wrong, IMO.

I just cracked open the Carménère for a taste. It's been 7-1/2 months since I started. It was good but tasted like I've come to expect high end kits at this stage. Still a bit sharp but feel it will become something very tasty.

I just cracked open the Carménère for a taste. It's been 7-1/2 months since I started. It was good but tasted like I've come to expect high end kits at this stage. Still a bit sharp but feel it will become something very tasty.
thanks for the feedback! Keep me posted on its progress :)

Just placed my order!

Cheers!

I started an en primeur Carmenere in March of 2019, bottled it at almost a year. Fruity Carmenere that is as good if not better than most of the commercial I've tried. I added heavy toast french cubes as I was hoping for a little chocolate like my favorite commercial bottle.

It's a little different, any red drinkers I've given it to have enjoyed it. I would recommend it.

I was originally worried about it having a bell pepper taste, but was happy to not have that from this kit.

No idea about malbec, I've never made that varietal.

I actually used this wine to top off my Big Shot kit so it was all Chilean juice. I prefer the carmenere to the Big Shot Chilean meritage kit and normally Bordeaux Blends are my favorites.

I started an en primeur Carmenere in March of 2019, bottled it at almost a year. Fruity Carmenere that is as good if not better than most of the commercial I've tried. I added heavy toast french cubes as I was hoping for a little chocolate like my favorite commercial bottle.

It's a little different, any red drinkers I've given it to have enjoyed it. I would recommend it.

I was originally worried about it having a bell pepper taste, but was happy to not have that from this kit.

No idea about malbec, I've never made that varietal.

I actually used this wine to top off my Big Shot kit so it was all Chilean juice. I prefer the carmenere to the Big Shot Chilean meritage kit and normally Bordeaux Blends are my favorites.
Great info, @JTS84. Thanks for sharing it.
So since my Carmenere is in carboy and at the 7-1/2 month mark, would you suggest I add a handful of HT French cubes for a chocolate flavor or would the timing be off? Should I have done that earlier? We just tasted it and was good to us so far. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

1) I never got the chocolate note I was looking for. Maybe a hint, but i was hoping for more. I was hoping for a little more than subtle, but nowhere near a chocolate flavored wine. Either how, we have been very happy with the result.

2) I'm 90% certain that the oak cubes i used came from lable peelers, the other option would have been Midwest. Heavy toast french. Maybe they weren't toasted heavy enough to get the chocolate, maybe i didn't use enough.

3) It isn't too.late to add oak if that is what you want to do. It is always easy to add more, but remember you can't take it out.

If you like it as is: you may want to leave it alone. I stopped adding oak because I didn't want to ruin a good thing. I really can't speak to timing. I always add oak after my second racking. I'm still learning myself.

I made this wine and added 1 oz vanilla extract and 2 American medium toasted oak spirals and back sweetener just a bit, about 8 ounces. Bottled after 6 months. Tasted and it was very good and will get better in time. Highly recommend it.

Back