RJ Spagnols RJS Cru Select Orange Choolate Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Just racked this off the lees and it already tastes great after 3 months.

Its a limited edition kit put out around Thanksgiving but you might find 1 or 2 kits around still.

It has been a limited release for the last three years. Very limited in 2006 (not all retailers got it). Available to Canadian retailers July 2007. Not sure when it came out in 2008 (but I'm pretty sure it was earler than Nov in Canada). Usually later in the USA. If you're interested, pay attention in these sub-forums. I'll be a real good boy, and try to post every new release that I learn about here.

Steve

I just post about my port under WineXpert. Are you going to fortify or add anything???

I may add some stuff that is just not avaiable to many people to others kinda comes before white thunder!!!!!! I must say that this tastes similar to the Chocolate Raspberry but not as good, no Orange flavor at all IMO which I was really looking forward to.

Thanks Wade. I think I will make according to kit and at the end maybe put some aside to play with a few bottles. I love to experiment but don't want to ruin the whole kit. Sorry to hear your orange did not have any of the orange flavor. I would expected it would taste like one of those orange chocolate balls wrapped like an orange.
I will keep everyone posted once I start mine. I need to get a few things first.

I think I read that the orange flavour comes out more with aging.

Steve

I hope so Steve, my friend gave me 2 bottles that are both 2 years old now and I tried 1 in like Feb. went he sent them and have the other on my rack, I have 6 gallons bulk aging of this stuff. I do like it so far, just expecting different from it and hope it comes around to what I was looking for.

I wonder what the orange chocolate would be like if it was fortified with a bottle of Orange and Brandy? Has anyone tried it?

By the way Wade...

I was in the local shop the other day, they had two of these kits in stock and they told me they are a regular item. :h

w_j_f

RJS has been producing the ocp once a year and I think this will be the fourth year. So yes, it is a regular item. In 2006 and 2007, RJS ran out of product pretty quickly, and did not produce any more. I heard that the supply lasted longer in 2008. What will happen in 2009? Don't know. Maybe they will produce it year round as sales dictate. Maybe they won't.

In the US, retailers are buffered by the distributors. If they order sufficient, then the product will be available year round, even if RJS themselves has run out.

Steve

They are not a regular item and are of limited edition but either that Retailer doesnt sell many or they order a ton of them.

Just racked this off the lees and it already tastes great after 3 months.

Wade,
This is my first kit, and I see that you waited three months to rack it off the lees. Simply asked, should I wait longer than the 42 days recommended to bottle, or follow the instructions in the kit verbatim?

The must is on day seven in the primary with a temp of 74 degrees and SG of 1.005. Today was the first time I opened the fermenter and checked. There has been plenty of activity in the air lock. I figured that as long as there was activity, opening up the primary (prying the lid off) could lead to a disaster of spilled juice everywhere.

I wouldnt leave it on the lees for 3 months if they are thick. I racked it off the lees that were there but that doesnt mean it sat on lees that long. All kits will benefit from being in the carboy longer as they will still drop very fine sediment even after usia ng fining agent. All my wines sit in there and bulk age at least 3 months after racking off all lees after fining.

They are not a regular item and are of limited edition but either that Retailer doesnt sell many or they order a ton of them.

Actually because I sometime work at my LHBS I learned something new. I believe Crosby & Baker is the distributer (I cannot remember right now). Anyway if you look at their page the two chocolate port kits are not listed. If your local shop owner wants to order these kits for you they will have to call them personally and it will be added to their monthly order. Next time you are in your LHBS have them call and see if one is available for you. They can let you know in 5 minutes and it will arrive on the next truck.

I have one of these kits going right now. Its on day 8 and bubbling away.

Actually because I sometime work at my LHBS I learned something new. I believe Crosby & Baker is the distributer (I cannot remember right now). Anyway if you look at their page the two chocolate port kits are not listed. If your local shop owner wants to order these kits for you they will have to call them personally and it will be added to their monthly order. Next time you are in your LHBS have them call and see if one is available for you. They can let you know in 5 minutes and it will arrive on the next truck.

I have one of these kits going right now. Its on day 8 and bubbling away.

I actually posted this question in the raspberry chocolate port thread before I learned about this one...

I'm about to start two of these kits in a 6gal carboy together. Do I use all 4 packets of yeast to start, and 2x the bentonite, chitosan, etc?

Also I'm guessing I should "reserve" about 2-3L when I double it up to add later to top off, is that correct? Has anyone topped off with a different PORT? if so, which ones do you recommend? Maybe something with some more orange, Wade?

I had made a double batch of the RJS White Choc Port and only added one kits' worth each of the yeast and bentonite but all of the remaining additives. RJS advised me this could be done but also said you could add both of everything and it wouldn't hurt anything, so it's your choice.
Regarding topping up, I found that with both flavour/booster packs added later on I actually had a surplus of port that I put in a bottle under airlock, so I don't think you need to hold any back. Keep in mind this was a RJS kit and I'm not sure what comes with the WineExpert kit and if this would apply. Good luck.
.. Doug

I had made a double batch of the RJS White Choc Port and only added one kits' worth each of the yeast and bentonite but all of the remaining additives. RJS advised me this could be done but also said you could add both of everything and it wouldn't hurt anything, so it's your choice.
Regarding topping up, I found that with both flavour/booster packs added later on I actually had a surplus of port that I put in a bottle under airlock, so I don't think you need to hold any back. Keep in mind this was a RJS kit and I'm not sure what comes with the WineExpert kit and if this would apply. Good luck.
.. Doug

Okay, I think I'll put everything in, just to be safe. It just seems like 4 packets of yeast is a lot :) I'm actually doing the RJS kit... so you are saying that I should expect more than 6gallons? When you put the rest in the bottle, did you mix it up first somehow to make sure you had all the same stuff, or did you get "un f-pack added" port in the bottle?

I want to combine but I'm starting to think it may not be a good idea ;-)

Thats more yeast then needed IMO, it wont hurt anything but 2 is plenty. Those bentonite packetsare designed for 6 gallon batches also so 1 is fine there. Do use all the sorbate though. I forget what they come with for sulfite but I wouldnt use ore then 2 for the six gallon batch. Youll be fine doing the dble batch. Either way at the end there is usually a hard time having enough room toadd the full f-pack so I would extract a good amount after adding everything but the f-pack and then add what you can back.

Latest posts

Back