RJ Spagnols RJS Cru Select Brunello arrived today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulc

Reaction score
I got the above kit in today. Who has worked with it before? And what can you tell me about it? In addition to the kit I also ordered a pound of the heavy toast american oak chips so I have a couple of questions.

#1. Those that made this kit, how oakie was it? It has both the oak dust and the oak "tea bag" (2 of them). I really like the flavors that oak brings to the wine.

#2. I bought the extra oak because as you may have guessed I like oak in my wine:) I bought heavy toast american chips...what is the taste difference brought out by the different levels of toasting? When I ordered the oak I assumed the heavy toast would be stronger but I really don't know. I thought I might try aging this wine in bulk for a month or two and let some amount of these oak chips soak in the wine while it ages.

#3. So the last question is how much oak chips for how long?

I realize taste is very much an issue of personal preference but since this is only my second kit I could use some guidance. Those of you that like oak in your wine and have made this kit, would you add more oak to it? How much for how long? Thanks a bunch in advance, paulc

I would suggest making kit as instructions say then, after taste add extra oak at bulk aging. You can always add but cant take it out. Last time I over oaked I made another batch and blended them. That was the only fix(really not to bad had double the wine)

I guess that was kinda my plan...follow the directions and then add the extra oak during bulk aging. Can you offer any guidance on how much oak, and for how long? tia paulc

I've never made that kit. But as a general rule, oak chips and smaller pieces are used during fermentation and larger pieces of oak, like cubes, staves and spirals, are used during aging.

People who really like oak insist that most kits don't give them enough. If I were you, I'd add the chips during primary fermentation, but I don't think you want anywhere near a pound, maybe four ounces.

If you want to make the kit per directions, then see whether you think it's oaky enough, obviously that makes sense too. But cubes or spirals would be a better way to add oak late in the game.

Jim

So started this kit today. It seemed pretty idiot proof like kits should be I guess. I did go ahead and add some extra oak in the primary ferment, hopefully I will not regret it. The kit came with two tea bags of oak along with a pouch of oak dust/sliver looking pieces. But I like oak so I added a cup of heavy toast american oak. I figure at first racking I can check the oak...then maybe add more if I think it needs it.

Will the oak become more noticable as the wine ages? Or will the oak I taste at first racking be all the oak there will be?

Thanks, Paulc

Latest posts

Back