RJS Cru Int'l WA Merlot vs WE World Vineyard WA Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay204

Junior
Reaction score
Both kits are 12L Washington Merlot's w/grape skins at roughly the same price point.

If you've tried either (or preferably both) of these kits, what are your thoughts? If you haven't tried them, what are your overall thoughts on the RJS Cru International line vs the WE World Vineyard line?

I'm looking for a cheaper kit to have some extra drinkable bottles on hand while my Eclipse and EP kits age.

It won’t take much more cash to get yourself a 16L with skins. If you are looking for a quick drinker stick with either a white wine kit or grab yourself one of the world vineyards without skins. When I make the vintners or WV lines I typically under dilute 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon to give it a little more body. Ive been happy with the results for a quick drinker.

@ras2018 both of the kits mentioned are on sale so that's why I was considering them. I have a number of whites already but we drink more reds so that's why I'm looking for ideas for extra stock that I'm not picky about aging.

I decided to try the RJS Merlot. It was too good of a price to pass up on. I have an Eclipse Bourbon Barrel Cab/Zin just finishing in the primary, so I think I'll try adding the used Eclipse grape skins to the Merlot kit primary. I also bought additional oak to add to the secondary for the Merlot kit. I haven't tweaked any kits before so I figured I'd start experimenting on a lower end kit. Hopefully it helps. I'll definitely take your advice on under diluting the juice.

(I do realize the skins may not make it as drinkable early. So I might be defeating the purpose of this kit.)

Back