RJS Cru International Meritage (Canadian Okanagan)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one is about a year now. I really like this kit. Very nice and fruity. I just bought another kit, and now that this is part of the regular lineup, I think it will be a regular part of my cellar.
DMGUPTIL Did you use the sweet pack???

This will be my next kit, I bought it already. I was wondering about the sweet pack (I also have it in the kit fermenting right now, EN PRIMEUR WINEMAKERS TRIO WHITE and I am trying to gather info about using it or not......

DMGUPTIL Did you use the sweet pack???

This will be my next kit, I bought it already. I was wondering about the sweet pack (I also have it in the kit fermenting right now, EN PRIMEUR WINEMAKERS TRIO WHITE and I am trying to gather info about using it or not......
No, I don't use the sweet pack. I prefer dry reds. I have always thought I might try one with the pack... But then, I know I really like it without, and Id hate to have thirty bottles I don't want to drink...

Keep in mind the wine is balanced to be sweet, so the acid level is likely to be higher. Leaving the sugar out may produce a wine that is too acidic. This depends on your tastes as some folks like acidic wines.

I suggest you bench test -- after bulk aging 3-6 months, draw 4 half glasses. Leave one dry, and backsweeten the others with small, varying amounts of syrup, then taste test. Keep in mind that you do not have to use the full F-pack. You may like 1/4, 1/2, or all of it.

I greatly prefer dry wines, and last fall purchased a few bottles of Vignoles from a Finger Lakes NY winery that I habitually order from. When I got the bottles the back label said the wine is sweet. Well ... @^*%!!!

Oh, well, got the bottles so I tried one. It tasted off-dry, not sweet, because the acid level is really high. The wine is VERY well balanced.

A wine's residual sugar and how sweet it tastes are directly affected by the acid level. You may find that backsweetening the wine will not have the effect you expect.

Keep in mind the wine is balanced to be sweet, so the acid level is likely to be higher. Leaving the sugar out may produce a wine that is too acidic. This depends on your tastes as some folks like acidic wines.

I suggest you bench test -- after bulk aging 3-6 months, draw 4 half glasses. Leave one dry, and backsweeten the others with small, varying amounts of syrup, then taste test. Keep in mind that you do not have to use the full F-pack. You may like 1/4, 1/2, or all of it.

I greatly prefer dry wines, and last fall purchased a few bottles of Vignoles from a Finger Lakes NY winery that I habitually order from. When I got the bottles the back label said the wine is sweet. Well ... @^*%!!!

Oh, well, got the bottles so I tried one. It tasted off-dry, not sweet, because the acid level is really high. The wine is VERY well balanced.

A wine's residual sugar and how sweet it tastes are directly affected by the acid level. You may find that backsweetening the wine will not have the effect you expect.
This is a good point I had not considered. You're right, this wine is fairly acidic without the pack, though I have generally enjoyed that. It has not seemed unbalanced.

That said, there's not really much to the sweet pack, it's pretty small volume compared to a six gallon finished product. Could be worth trying on my next one!

Latest posts

Back