RJS Cru International Meritage (Canadian Okanagan)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t checked sg. That’s a good idea, but I know it has residual sugar from the f-pack. My plan is to pour it onto the grapes from an active ferment after a first racking. I’m hoping the already active yeast will ferment out the little remaining sugar.

Jbo

I haven’t checked sg. That’s a good idea, but I know it has residual sugar from the f-pack. My plan is to pour it onto the grapes from an active ferment after a first racking. I’m hoping the already active yeast will ferment out the little remaining sugar.

Jbo
Good luck with that, my impression was a glycerine overload from the fpack which was all I was able to taste. My wife liked it but I won't ever make it again.

Funny. Just got an email indicating that this is going to be a permanent addition to the RJS family.

OK. Closing in on a year and I’ve made my decision on this one. It is distinctly sweet - no matter that the RJS description is “dry”. I noted above that I thought the sweetness might become a perception of fruit, but it has gotten even sweeter. I tasted with my homebrew perveyor and he couldn’t apologize enough. He even proposed that maybe I got a misbranded kit.

I will be pouring this “out”. Trying to referment so that the sugar is consumed and it ends up dry again. It’s something of a long shot I think, but hopefully it works. If not, it’s getting dumped anyway so I’m not out much. I can’t drink it as it is.

Wish me luck.

Jbo

Send it to me :)

OK. Closing in on a year and I’ve made my decision on this one. It is distinctly sweet - no matter that the RJS description is “dry”. I noted above that I thought the sweetness might become a perception of fruit, but it has gotten even sweeter. I tasted with my homebrew perveyor and he couldn’t apologize enough. He even proposed that maybe I got a misbranded kit.

I will be pouring this “out”. Trying to referment so that the sugar is consumed and it ends up dry again. It’s something of a long shot I think, but hopefully it works. If not, it’s getting dumped anyway so I’m not out much. I can’t drink it as it is.

Wish me luck.

Jbo
You guys should have skipped the sweetener pack, a dry wine s not back sweetened regardless of what the manufacturer said. It was not glycerin it's inverted sugar, I tasted it. The kit has been bottles and I've been slowly drinking it. It was very fruity and off balanced at first, but once it hit the 8 month mark it started to taste pretty impressive for what the kit cost. We shall see what 1 year will bring. I did add about a tablespoon of tannin in primary and oak cubes though.

I visit the wineries around the okanagan a couple times per year as I have family there. This "DOES" taste like a meritage which is typically fruit forward. There are some exceptions though depending on the exact region, EX Nihilio for example just across the lake tastes completely different...more tannic and old world style compared to the more fruity varieties like Dirty Laundry vineyard. This kit does taste suspicially like dirty laundry vineyards, no pun intended lol

True Kuz about the backsweetening. I know that, but when RJS has “off-dry” in their lexicon, I would think they would not use ‘dry’ when it is totally inaccurate. Their wine should be true to style as packaged. So I decided after much deliberation that there must be something in the f-pack to make the wine appropriate to style. At least with this thread, the next guy that wonders, might get info to make his choice that I didn’t have.

I do think there is glycerine in the f-pack. We’ll see if I can ferment it back to dry. Otherwise, this stuff is destined for the drain.

I’m with Pillswoj. I’ll never make it again.

Jbo

True Kuz about the backsweetening. I know that, but when RJS has “off-dry” in their lexicon, I would think they would not use ‘dry’ when it is totally inaccurate. Their wine should be true to style as packaged. So I decided after much deliberation that there must be something in the f-pack to make the wine appropriate to style. At least with this thread, the next guy that wonders, might get info to make his choice that I didn’t have.

I do think there is glycerine in the f-pack. We’ll see if I can ferment it back to dry. Otherwise, this stuff is destined for the drain.

I’m with Pillswoj. I’ll never make it again.

Jbo

yes it’s a shame, it truly is decent wine but easily ruined by the pack they provided. From the moment I tasked the f pack knew it wasn’t for me, so I tossed it.

Is it labelled on the ingredient list?
Im Not saying I'm never wrong but ive used glycerin in wine before, this isn't glycerin they provided. If I ate products high in sugar I would have put it on my quinoa pancakes but I dont, lol. I used to make e-juice for electronic cigarettes and the main ingredient is vegetable glycerin.

I made this also, behind where you guys are by several months. I also did not add the fpack, worried about the sweetness. It has been in a carboy for a couple months and tastes pretty good, considering the price.

I made this also, behind where you guys are by several months. I also did not add the fpack, worried about the sweetness. It has been in a carboy for a couple months and tastes pretty good, considering the price.

Yup for the price it's pretty good and different from the typical wines I make. It's better than some commercial bottles I've had from that region, not as good as mission Hill though for example...but that's over $25 a bottle. I would say it's your average meritage, I suggest adding more oak though which is what I did.

The RJS international 12l kits have impressed me though in general for the price. I have the California red zinfandel aging right now and it's tasting pretty good.

I’m based in Canada as well. Can anyone direct me to an online source for these kits? I’m relatively rural so online purchasing is easiest. Thank you.

I’ve also been impressed with the 12L w/skins kits. The last one I did compared very favorably with an En Primeur I started at the same time when I took a small “barrel tasting.””

I’m thinking my next round might be a Cru international and a Cru Select of the same varietal so I can make a direct comparison. - or possibly against even En Primeur.

Jbo

I’m based in Canada as well. Can anyone direct me to an online source for these kits? I’m relatively rural so online purchasing is easiest. Thank you.
So these were limited edition, as far as I know you can't buy them anymore. I got mine from winning wines plus last spring.

I’ve also been impressed with the 12L w/skins kits. The last one I did compared very favorably with an En Primeur I started at the same time when I took a small “barrel tasting.””

I’m thinking my next round might be a Cru international and a Cru Select of the same varietal so I can make a direct comparison. - or possibly against even En Primeur.

Jbo

Like Tree Cru? Haha

I realize I made this kit and has been in a 5gal glass carboy for around a year or more, checking my notes when I get home....

Very interested to know how it tastes, need to rack and add some sulfite before I bottle it.

Final follow up on mine. Attempt to re-ferment failed(as pretty much expected). Still sweet.

The chickens liked it. :)

Jbo

This one is about a year now. I really like this kit. Very nice and fruity. I just bought another kit, and now that this is part of the regular lineup, I think it will be a regular part of my cellar.

Latest posts

Back