RJS Cru International Meritage (Canadian Okanagan)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this kit: RJS Cru International Meritage (Canadian Okanagan)

Sounds interesting to me but I'm leery of the 12L of juice as opposed to the 18L in a premium kit.

Experience or opinions?

Anyone have any experience with this kit: RJS Cru International Meritage (Canadian Okanagan)

Sounds interesting to me but I'm leery of the 12L of juice as opposed to the 18L in a premium kit.

Experience or opinions?
I made a similar kit and really liked it. I feel like the smaller kits that are blends taste better sooner.

Picked one up last Friday, will probably be 4 weeks before I have a Fermonster free to start it. Will do an EM on it.

Just received my shipment of Meritage from SHB. Three bags of oak, some dry skins, labels and sweetener. (Nice full page ad on inside cover of latest Winemaker mag). Will start as soon as WE Trinity White finishes bubbling in my Big Mouth Bubbler. Life is Good.

Just received my shipment of Meritage from SHB. Three bags of oak, some dry skins, labels and sweetener. (Nice full page ad on inside cover of latest Winemaker mag). Will start as soon as WE Trinity White finishes bubbling in my Big Mouth Bubbler. Life is Good.

Sweetener?

The reason I suspected it was a sweetener is because it came in a clear plastic bag labeled “Sweetening Blend”. The bag was sticky and contained a urine- colored liquid.

I was tempted to order this kit with a real nice promo going on at an online retailer for a total of about $92 shipped, until I realized it is a 12L kit....bummer....

I found that at my age, I can’t taste the difference between 12 L and 16 L. My aching back appreciates the 30 lb vs. 50 lb box.

Meritage Blends are great they are just a Bordeaux style blend made anywhere outside of Bordeaux.

My absolute favorite wines.

Just followed up with my LHBS, they tried the kit with and without the finishing blend, felt that the one with had better mouth feel and the Cab Franc notes were smoothed out and less bitter. Sounds like a glycerine pack to me - I will add it when I make mine.

I'm in Canada so not really comparable, but 101.45 CAD including corks, shrinks and labels.

Is the Cru line from Okanagan? I just assumed they got their juice from wherever. I am also Canadian. I like the Cru Select (when on sale).
The 12 l vs 18 question is interesting. The only problem that I can see with concentration is if they use a lot of heat in the evapouration. If they vacuum evapourate, as most food products do, then it should not be an issue. If they do use heat then the only difference between the 18 l and the 12 l is the amount of time heated. Does that make a difference?

Cru International line is from various regions depending on the kit. I have done the Chilean Malbac and the Niagara Baco Noir previously. They both turned out excellent and were drinkable within a year. As a reference point I don't find the WE Eclipse or RJS En Primeur kits drinkable until about 2 years, the big kits are better but the Cru Int. are great to fill out the rack.

More important thing is the reds in Cru International line are all with skin except Pinot Noir.

Latest posts

Back