RJS Craft Winemaking - Grand Cru - Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
Just orderd a RJS Craft Winemaking - Grand Cru - Merlot & a Additive Pack for Brehm Frozen Fruit (Reds)
Anyone have any success stories to share?

Just orderd a RJS Craft Winemaking - Grand Cru - Merlot & a Additive Pack for Brehm Frozen Fruit (Reds)
RJS Craft kits are really high quality and made excellent wine. Just go with a good yeast and give it time and you will get a killer wine.

I'm not really sure why you would add a Brehm Frozen Fruit Additive pack to this kit wine. Maybe the Go-Ferm when you rehydrate your yeast, the Fermaid K for nutrient and the FT Rouge later on for extra tannin, but the rest of those additives aren't going to really do much for you, that I can see. I would probably change out the yeast, assuming it is EC-1118, and add some extra tannins during fermentation and then later, if I tasted and still thought it needed some. Not sure what yeast I would go with, maybe BM4x4 or something like that.

I'm not really sure why you would add a Brehm Frozen Fruit Additive pack to this kit wine. Maybe the Go-Ferm when you rehydrate your yeast, the Fermaid K for nutrient and the FT Rouge later on for extra tannin, but the rest of those additives aren't going to really do much for you, that I can see. I would probably change out the yeast, assuming it is EC-1118, and add some extra tannins during fermentation and then later, if I tasted and still thought it needed some. Not sure what yeast I would go with, maybe BM4x4 or something like that.
That yeast is good but EC-1118 is still a kick ass yeast, it makes good wine. But if i was to pick since this isnt a big red yeah BM 4x4 with a big dose of nutrients is the way to go as its a high requirement yeast.

OK, Sorry for anitunderstand but can you expand a lttle more on "BM 4x4 with a big dose of nutrients is the way to go as its a high requirement yeast."?
I will go to my store tomorrow to get the BM4x4, but what nutrients and how much will need?
As far as the Brehm pack, I was only going to use the G0-Ferm, Ferm-K, Ferm-O and the FT Rouge.
So you day add the FT Rouge in the secondary, then I thought about adding 1tbs of plain Tannins in the Primary.
is this too much Tannins?

OK, Sorry for anitunderstand but can you expand a lttle more on "BM 4x4 with a big dose of nutrients is the way to go as its a high requirement yeast."?
I will go to my store tomorrow to get the BM4x4, but what nutrients and how much will need?
As far as the Brehm pack, I was only going to use the G0-Ferm, Ferm-K, Ferm-O and the FT Rouge.
So you day add the FT Rouge in the secondary, then I thought about adding 1tbs of plain Tannins in the Primary.
is this too much Tannins?
Give it what the nutrients say, and then mid way through give it another smaller dose. Because it will produce some off flavors or compounds if you don't give it enough. Don't go crazy on tannins. You just want to balance it. If you overdo it it will take forever to age down to a drinkable level or might not at all.

I have a 6 month old batch I'm ready to bottle, compared to my other kits there is very little flavor. I'll see what a year bottle aging does

I have a 6 month old batch I'm ready to bottle, compared to my other kits there is very little flavor. I'll see what a year bottle aging does
That's completely normal. Sometimes wine tastes awful prior to aging, lol.

One other question about the yeast.
Room temp in my wine room in the summer ranges from 75 night to 85/90ish daytime.
In the select yeast forum, I read that Merlot-RC 212 is good choice.
I couldn't find the BM4x4 in this forum. Why choose this? Or should i just stick with the EC1118?
thanks

One other question about the yeast.
Room temp in my wine room in the summer ranges from 75 night to 85/90ish daytime.
In the select yeast forum, I read that Merlot-RC 212 is good choice.
I couldn't find the BM4x4 in this forum. Why choose this? Or should i just stick with the EC1118?
thanks
At thst heat use 1118 because it's the most heat durable.

Latest posts

Back