RJ Spagnols RJ's Cellar Classic White Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rdMangHigh

Junior
Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals,
Just started this CC White Zin kit, its my second kit (and 1st post) and I was just wondering if anyone here has tried it and curious to hear what to expect.

Havent made it but RJS is my brand of choice and has never faled me yet! Glad to have you aboard and feel free to ask any questions you want.

Good to hear you recomend this brand, I have been lurking around here for a while, have seen some of your pics. me=jelous and hopeful to get product up to that kind of level!!!

Currently have a White Zin in primary. I've got a few going now and forget who the manufacturer is. It came from E C Kraus.

Enjoy this new hobby....it's fun.

Be careful with E.C. Krause, been duped by them before, Try FineVieWines, if there is any problem with anything from there he stands behind his products 100%, usually cheaper also.

Be careful with E.C. Krause, been duped by them before, Try FineVineWines, if there is any problem with anything from there he stands behind his products 100%, usually cheaper also.

I shop at FVW. Also have ordered from Midwest and my local, Maryland Home Brew.
All of my Kits so far have been from Finevinewines.com and I usually get a shipping notification next day if not later that same day. I think you can't beat his prices or service.

After hearing all the talk about RJS I wish there was a dealer around here. Of the five wine and brew suppliers around here, most of them only handle Wine Expert. I am ready to step up to the high end kits. We only drink off dry whites. I do get some of the Limited Editions also. Wade, any comment on Heron Bay's kits. I can get those at Presque Isle Winery not far from me. How do they compare to Wine Expert.

Dan:

Over the last 3 years or so, there have been a lot of positive comments on the various forums about Heron Bay kits. Personally I have no real experience with them. In 2005, I made two of their smaller kits (similar to Vintners Reserve), and the results were basically as expected (similar to VR).

Steve

Wondering what style of bottle I should be collecting for this type of wine. Any suggestions?

nevermind...google imaged white zin, they're all clear

Last edited:
usully see them in Clear bordeax bottle but what ever you can get is fine. I try to use what is used commercially and usually have plenty enough of any style to do so but in the case I dont I just use what I have enough of 1 style to do so.

Thanks for all the help folks,

I racked this bad boy into a carboy, after following all instructions of course!

So as it is a blush wine....can i treat it as a white and do minimal aging? I was thinking 2 months?? or should i treat it more as a red and let it bulk age for 6??

My first wine i let bulk age for 6 months >cellarcraft global cuvee amarone< de-freakin-licious

any suggestions?

I did the smaller, 12 Litre, kit (Grand Cru International) it's now six months in the bottle and tastes pretty good now. Its likely that your wine will be better after six to 9 months.

After hearing all the talk about RJS I wish there was a dealer around here. Of the five wine and brew suppliers around here, most of them only handle Wine Expert. I am ready to step up to the high end kits. We only drink off dry whites. I do get some of the Limited Editions also. Wade, any comment on Heron Bay's kits. I can get those at Presque Isle Winery not far from me. How do they compare to Wine Expert.

Heron Bay are local to my HBS Dan. the kits are A1 and the HBS owners guarantee the brand.. I am saving for one of their micro brewery reds..expensive but top of the range.. will let you know as soon as I can afford one and the full report of the finished wine.

As an aside.. the "winecooler brands' here are made by heron bay, I make them for my Mum and tweak them up to a proper wine ( in her eyes), by tweaking them to a 1.085 starting abv... her favourites are the green apple riesling and the peach chardonnay. I have made the black cherry pinot noir for her also, she's not a red drinker, yet still loved it.

In my opinion.. all the wine cooler " summer breeze" kits made by heron bay .. have that horrible 'kit taste'.. ghastly corn sugar aftertaste.. you can't drink them within the recommended time on the box.

Allie

I did the smaller, 12 Litre, kit (Grand Cru International) it's now six months in the bottle and tastes pretty good now. Its likely that your wine will be better after six to 9 months.

Good for you! I have found that every white zin or blush kit that I have done needs a little more time. This past fall I did a California white zin pail for the first time. Boy howdy, that is sooo much better than the kits.

I was wondering if anyone had any updates on how their White Zin kits turned out. I am trying to decide between getting a winexpert selection or RJ Cru int'l.

Latest posts

Back