RJS BrewHouse Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appleman, do I use a cleaner and sanitizer for beer equipment as I do with wine? Or is there a beer cleaner/sanitizer I can use that does both?

uavwmn said:
Masta, what do you use to clean and sanitize your beer equipment?

I have been using C-Brite to clean and K-meta to sanitize. I know everyone says K-meta isn't strong enough for beer but I have never had a problem yet. I am very careful cleaning everything until it is spotless so this helps avoid problems.

I also use plenty of hot (150-165 F) water to rinse everything and I know from working in the pharmaceutical industry for 20 years thathot water is a very efficient cleaner with water soluble products.

I know they sell PBW (Powdered Brewers Wash) which is a cleaning product for beer equipment which was developed for Coors Brewing Co. It has been rumoured that OxyClean is the same thing. It is not a sanitizer, nor is One Step.

Edited by: wade

I do the same as Masta only I use B-brite instead of C-brite. The C-brite is supposed to be better, but for the few batches I do, the B-brite works fine for me and I already have it for the wine.

Dean, ty for the websites. Hate to stray from George, but I would like to try the liquid yeast in my next batch of beer.

I don't think George would mind too much as liquid yeasts are hard to deal with. They must be fresh, must be kept refrigerated, they should be shipped with cold packs, and if you don't have much of a market for them, they go bad quickly too.

wade said:
I know they sell PBW (Powdered Brewers Wash) which is a cleaning product for beer equipment which was developed for Coors Brewing Co. It has been rumoured that OxyClean is the same thing. It is not a sanitizer, nor is One Step.

I really believe they are different products. PBW is alkali based where Oxi Clean is oxygen based. I use both products. PBW cleans better but Oxi Clean does a good job as well and is a darn shot cheaper. I use the PBW after about every 10 boils in my boil pot to remove the stone build up. It takes it off without scrubbing. Oxi Clean won't.

Thanks for the info. I read that on a beer forum as wasnt sure Hence the Rumoured.

Started my Brew House Cream Ale today in a 7.9 gallon fermenting bucket even though they say to use a bigger 1. We'll see what happens and Im ready to install a blow off tube if need be. I have a second keg now and thats where this kit will end up when finished.

I have my Pilsner here. Will probably be next weekend before I can start is as I am waiting for the yeast I ordered for it to come in. I am going to actually try a dry yeast on this kit. I am going with a Fermentis Saflager S-23 after reading a ton of good reports on the Fermentis dry yeasts. I didn't have a White Labs Lager yeast in the fridge and don't have a LHBS and I didn't feel like driving 4 hours to Houston to buy a tube of yeast.

I started to order some from the online retailer I normally get beer supplies from but after reading numerous positive posts on the Fermentis yeasts, I will give them a shot. I bought a few of the varieties that are actually comparable to liquid yeasts I have on hand so I can compare apples to apples.

I will add that the directions for this kit are not correct for the beer style. This is a lager beer but the directions are for an ale kit. I guess they just use generic directions. If I made this kit per the directions I will not have a Pilsner beer. The yeast packet is not marked with what type yeast it is. I am assuming it is actually an ale yeast. I really thought that the info on their website (which is excellent) would be the same as in the box. So a note to those just getting into beer. Look at the website for further info before you start your kit or as always, throw up your questions here and we will be glad to step you through it.

I only state this for those that order a lager kit and expect it to be anything comparable to those you buy at the store like the Pilsner, Cerveza (seems very popular), and the ones that actually have Lager in their names. You will need additional equipment like a fridge to lager in or a basement that stays pretty cool as lagers ferment at much lower temps (determined by yeast strain) than an ale. You can make a lager at 60-65 degrees though by using a particular yeast strain though (California Lager). I can't wait to see how these kits compare to my actual all grain batches. Edited by: smurfe

smurfe,are the new beer kits George has out the "no boil" kits? I would like to try the "Winterfest" kit.

PS. Per your recommendation I made a second batch of the irish stout with liquid yeast. HUGE difference in body and flavor!!! Thank you~

uavwmn said:
smurfe,are the new beer kits George has out the "no boil" kits? I would like to try the "Winterfest" kit.

PS. Per your recommendation I made a second batch of the irish stout with liquid yeast. HUGE difference in body and flavor!!! Thank you~

Good deal, glad I could help you out. I actually used a dry yeast on my last batch of Dry Stout (Fermentis Safale S-04) that came out great. It is basically, if not the same yeast strain as the White Labs WLP002 English Ale yeast. I am a convert to this brand if it take an English ale or American ale yeast. Most of my lagers will use their brand to unless I want to use a White Labs Cerveza yeast which is a great lager yeast. White Labs and Wyeast are great products though and if you have access to them and use them correctlyyou won't go wrong.

smurfe,where can I find the BeerCalculation Program??
smiley4.gif

uavwmn said:
smurfe,where can I find the BeerCalculation Program??
smiley4.gif

I use Beersmith.

http://www.beersmith.com/

You can download a trial version of it. There are others that are popular as well such as Pro Mash and Beer Tools. I tried these as well and then chose and bought the full version of Beersmith mainly due to the customer support and continued upgrades. Pro Mash isn't upgraded anymore and Beer Tools, while a nice program coincides with their website and is not as versatile as Beersmith. Overall Beersmith and Pro Mash is the most widely used programs I have noticed used by brewers. I consider a software program vital to consistent brewing as beer is so much more versatile and inconsistent compared to wine making.

Latest posts

Back