RJ Spagnols RJS Black Forest Dessert Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrontenacMan

Reaction score
Just started my RJS Black Forest Dessert Wine last week. Can't get it to ferment. I've tried everything, Added Carlson yeast nutrient, racked and then added new yeast. Still nothing, just a small amount of foam on the top. Starting SG was 1.120. Checked it when I racked and it was just under 1.120. Any ideas? Did I get a bad kit? I made this kit two years ago and it worked fine but my starting SG with that kit was 1.110 which is what makes me suspicious. Last year I did the Raspberry Mocha instead and it also worked fine. .

I never tried the kit but I was making a jalapeno wine this fall with my SG at 1.160. I had to add about a gallon of water to get it down to 1.082. As soon as the SG dropped my EC 1118 took off. I'm sure it won't weaken the taste of jalapeno; so now I have 3 gallon instead of 2. I'm not sure how much help that is. I hope others can suggest how to reduce your SG without watering down.

I never tried the kit but I was making a jalapeno wine this fall with my SG at 1.160. I had to add about a gallon of water to get it down to 1.082. As soon as the SG dropped my EC 1118 took off. I'm sure it won't weaken the taste of jalapeno; so now I have 3 gallon instead of 2. I'm not sure how much help that is. I hope others can suggest how to reduce your SG without watering down.
That makes sense. I think I will try it. Since it's a dessert wine, there is a finishing additive after fermentation so adding a bit of water to the port base should not significantly affect the taste. Jalapeno wine huh. Now that sounds intriguing. Hope it turns out well 👍. Thanks for the help.

That makes sense. I think I will try it. Since it's a dessert wine, there is a finishing additive after fermentation so adding a bit of water to the port base should not significantly affect the taste. Jalapeno wine huh. Now that sounds intriguing. Hope it turns out well 👍. Thanks for the help.
Jalapeno wine is really good in chili. I put about 8oz in a large pot of chili without telling anyone and got good reviews from those eating it.

Aside from cooking, Jalapeno wine can be added to taste to a dry, semi-dry, or semi-sweet white wine to give it a nice kick. I think my three gallons may last quite awhile.

I suggest testing the SG and tasting your base as you add water. You will be able to tell if you start to weaken the base. Go slow with the water and don't try to add a bunch all at once. Just inch that SG down until the yeast takes off.

Latest posts

Back