RJ Spagnols RJS Australian Pinot Noir Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Used my 15% off coupon from Northern Brewer to order this kit and got it Friday. I plan to start it next weekend with the few tweaks I normally use with high end kits. Cold soak the skins overnight, swap the yeast for BM4x4, EM, bulk age. I haven't opened the box to see what it looks like but it is supposed to have skin. This would be the first PN kit I've done that has the skins. I currently have a WE Pinot kit that has been bulk aging for 6 months so, at some point, it will be an interesting comparison. Anyone have experience with this kit? Advice?

Looking at possibly doing this RJS Pinot kit...

Any early feedback?

Thanks & Cheers!

It is the first Pinot kit I've done that came with skins. I'm not sure why that is. It's not the first high end Pinot kit I've done. I did as 6 week EM and will be racking it off sediment this weekend to go into bulk aging. I have high hopes for it. The WE in in bottles now so will be tasting some soon.

I've seen multiple peeps swap out the provided kit yeast (probably EC1118) for BM4x4. Can ya share any info about this yeast? (How's it flocculate, any extra nutrients reqs, vino outcome vs ec1118, etc) Thanks in advance!

I've seen multiple peeps swap out the provided kit yeast (probably EC1118) for BM4x4. Can ya share any info about this yeast? (How's it flocculate, any extra nutrients reqs, vino outcome vs ec1118, etc) Thanks in advance!
Here's some info on BM 4X4. Also, Scott labs recommends BM 4X4 for Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Zinfandel, Nebbiolo, Chardonnay. Another yeast, RC 212, was developed specifically for Pinot Noir; the strain has its origin in the Burgundy region of France where Pinot Noir is king. BM 4X4 Yeast | Scott Laboratories

Here's some info on BM 4X4. Also, Scott labs recommends BM 4X4 for Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Zinfandel, Nebbiolo, Chardonnay. Another yeast, RC 212, was developed specifically for Pinot Noir; the strain has its origin in the Burgundy region of France where Pinot Noir is king. BM 4X4 Yeast | Scott Laboratories
I use RC 212 for my reds and for my black raspberry and find it makes excellent wine.

In Kit used if swapping for RC 212 you could need to add additional nutrient, it require more then the 1118

In Kit used if swapping for RC 212 you could need to add additional nutrient, it require more then the 1118
Yes, add addl nutrient at 1/3 sugar depletion (1.050-1.060 SG depending on orig garavity0

Used my 15% off coupon from Northern Brewer to order this kit and got it Friday. I plan to start it next weekend with the few tweaks I normally use with high end kits. Cold soak the skins overnight, swap the yeast for BM4x4, EM, bulk age. I haven't opened the box to see what it looks like but it is supposed to have skin. This would be the first PN kit I've done that has the skins. I currently have a WE Pinot kit that has been bulk aging for 6 months so, at some point, it will be an interesting comparison. Anyone have experience with this kit? Advice?
I'm interested to know how these kits compare with the Finer Wine Kit you're doing. Specifically in terms of kit taste.

Latest posts

Back