RJ Spagnols RJS Amarone vs Amarone Classico

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
Has anyone made both? I just ordered the Classico but am wondering if all of the good reviews that I have read were actually about the non-Classico version. It was a few bucks more so I figured it was “better” but I know that’s not always the case so was curious if anyone had any first hand experience with both of these kits.

Has anyone made both? I just ordered the Classico but am wondering if all of the good reviews that I have read were actually about the non-Classico version. It was a few bucks more so I figured it was “better” but I know that’s not always the case so was curious if anyone had any first hand experience with both of these kits.
Check out the thread 4 under this one for “what is the best kit your have made”. On the last page (4) towards the bottom, this topic was just brought up. All the general comments made for this kit are typically referring to the non Classico version which comes with wet skins instead of dry skins.

Check out the thread 4 under this one for “what is the best kit your have made”. On the last page (4) towards the bottom, this topic was just brought up. All the general comments made for this kit are typically referring to the non Classico version which comes with wet skins instead of dry skins.
The Classico version is quite good, but it needs more time than the standard version. At least 3 years for the Classico to be ready to drink, vs. about 2 years for the standard.

That’s actually good news as I doubt I would start drinking this kit for a few years given my ~300 bottle stock so I chose something I thought might age well. This will also be my first EM attempt.

the classico version is 18L of juice with dried grape skins while the other one is 16L of juice and 2L of wet skins. I asked the difference a few years back about the skins and was told it was actually more expensive to produce the dried skins and the juice was higher quality. i have not made the classico but the non-classico was very good and i have another one bulk aging. i have made other kits with dried skins and enjoyed everyone of them.

cheers

Anyone compare these RJS kits to the Cellar Craft? I understand it’s more like the Classico in that it has dried skins. I actually ordered one today because I need a red that likes to ferment at cooler temps. I plan to start it with four white kits this weekend.

Years back I made both kits. The kit with the skins was by far much better, more flavor, aromas, and body. The cost difference is surely justified.
Gabe

I've brewed three Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone kits. Each turned out the equal of the first time I ever tasted Amarone at Musella Winery in Verona, IT. Italian law requires five years of aging before the wine can be sold. I have two kits now on hand to complete this spring, in hopes of holding onto a bottle or two for the full five years. Fat chance!

Hard to hold onto it.
Best I’ve ever done was 15 gallons of Italian Nebbiolo juice for 6 years. But it was worth the wait.
Gabe

Hard to hold onto it.
Best I’ve ever done was 15 gallons of Italian Nebbiolo juice for 6 years. But it was worth the wait.
Gabe

Maybe if, after I bottle these two kits, I can pick up a five-to-ten with a chance of early parole I'll refrain from drinking them up.

I have a two year old RJS Amarone (non Classico) vs a CC Showcase Amarone 1 year old but 6 month of that in a med toast french oak barrel, which I had my daughter compare as she is the Amarone fanatic she chose the RJS as the better one.

Difference in age could be a major factor and I look forward to repeating this next christmas and seeing if the results change, this Feb I will be doing the MM Merglioli Amarosa to add to the comparisons.

I have a two year old RJS Amarone (non Classico) vs a CC Showcase Amarone 1 year old but 6 month of that in a med toast french oak barrel, which I had my daughter compare as she is the Amarone fanatic she chose the RJS as the better one.

Difference in age could be a major factor and I look forward to repeating this next christmas and seeing if the results change, this Feb I will be doing the MM Merglioli Amarosa to add to the comparisons.
Jeff, any updates on this? I've made a couple of Amarone batches. 1st was CC Showcase that has been bulk aging for about 10 months now in a carboy. 2nd was the RJS Classico that I just moved to a carboy a few weeks ago. I have preordered the Meglioli Amarosso that should be here in a few weeks. My plan is to carboy age two years before barrel aging for six months in my 6 gallon barrels. Each kit will be significantly staggered in terms of age but I'm more interested in each kit being and doing its own thing than straight up taste comparisons.

Both are very good, my daughter still prefers the RJS, however I prefer the CC Showcase at the 2 year point but that could be the barrel aging. My merglioli is in the barrel right now. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them and it is mostly personal preference as to which will be a favourite.

OP here. FWIW the RJS Classico is about 18m now and has turned out pretty good. It’s certainly head and shoulders better than any of the |~10 WE Eclipse reds that I make 2-4 years ago (still drinking).

Latest posts

Back