RJS 2020 Restricted Quantities announced!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone been able to get to the stage where they can compared the RQ big reds to similar wines in the En Primeur series?
Just bottled the Syrah a couple weeks ago. Decent at bottling, but definitely needs to sit for awhile. The other two reds are still in carboys.

Any opinion yet how they stack up with the top RJS and WineXpert kits?
RQ20 reds are going to be too young at this point for comparison, but historically the RQ's have been as good and sometimes better than En Primeur.

Really their almost the same in the final analysis, it's all a matter of preference ,like 😃 don't like,
I think the blends are we're they differ ,blends seam to have better chararistics then. Straight up stock.

Not into the 20s yet, they will age another year, but the 17s, 18s, and 19s all have been as good or better then the EPs.

I preordered the 2021 cab kit a few months ago, just picked it up today. I've never done a kit before, it's all[ been fresh, so itll be a whole new experience. Is there a suggested minimum aging time after bottling?

20210220_154248.jpg

I preordered the 2021 cab kit a few months ago, just picked it up today. I've never done a kit before, it's all[ been fresh, so itll be a whole new experience. Is there a suggested minimum aging time after bottling?

View attachment 71855
Nice choice. They did a French cab a few years back, RQ2017 and it was quite good. I would suggest at least two years from pitching the yeast before you start drinking them. Maybe try a bottle or two after the first year to see how it's coming along.

Nice choice. They did a French cab a few years back, RQ2017 and it was quite good. I would suggest at least two years from pitching the yeast before you start drinking them. Maybe try a bottle or two after the first year to see how it's coming along.
Excellent thanks. I'm hoping they have a shiraz for 2022. I was thinking of getting the 2021 Syrah if funds are available. Hmm, doesn't look like they have an RQ Syrah this year. Perhaps next year.

Last edited:
I can lay my hands on a couple of the RQ 2020 kits. Is there any problem (deterioration) because the kits were issued a year ago? The one I can get readily is the RQ 4 - Australian Pinot Noir Shiraz. I'm a fan of pino noir but not overly fussy about shiraz, especially Australian shiraz. Anyone know which grape exerts the most influence or does the blend add special notes that might appeal to a pino noir lover?

My RQ2020 Pinot/Shiraz kits both had a production date of 2-26-2020. So those kits are now at the end of their "best by" date. If the price is right and they were stored in a cool place, I'd go for it. If not, pass.

Opened the RQ21 Cab kit today and had some sticky dried juice on the bag and ingredients bag. No obvious leaking so went ahead. Topped to the 6 gal mark and only got a very disappointing 1.082 SG. I've done over 50 kits and this is the first to ever show any evidence of leaking and very disappointing SG. Emailed RJS and retail seller with my concerns.

Have other for the RQ21 kits have expected SG for those who've done them?

Opened the RQ21 Cab kit today and had some sticky dried juice on the bag and ingredients bag. No obvious leaking so went ahead. Topped to the 6 gal mark and only got a very disappointing 1.082 SG. I've done over 50 kits and this is the first to ever show any evidence of leaking and very disappointing SG. Emailed RJS and retail seller with my concerns.

Have other for the RQ21 kits have expected SG for those who've done them?
RQ21 Tempranillo 1.096
RQ21 Nero Davola 1.092
But I typically short the water by 0.5 to 1 liter.

Just started the RQ21 Nero D'Avola and got an SG of 1.098, let's call it 1.100. Amazed how much juice came in kit. Probably put in no more than a litre of warm water to flush out all the juice from the bag and that seemed to top up my fermenter to 23 litres.
The double bag of dried grape skins and seeds was a nice surprise. Each pack was 125 grams and looked superior to the 125g dried grape skin pouches I've been buying for $14 Cdn each to put in my cheaper kits.
It also came with two bags of oak chips, the good kind, and RC 212 yeast, which I've been itching to try.
Instructions call for a temp of 75 degrees, which is tough to get at this time of year. I stuck a pot of warm water next to it, tenting both under a beach towel with my sous vide set for 75 degrees.
My expectations are very high.

Sounds likeva good plan,a hand full of SunMaid raisins would advgood structure also.

Latest posts

Back