RJS 2020 Restricted Quantities announced!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RQ 1 - Argentina Bonarda Syrah - "The Darb" which means - "a great person or thing". This vintage will not disappoint!
RQ 2 - The Caterpillar's Kimono, "the be all and end all" or "most divine". Brilliant beauty & golden elegance makes this rare vintage one of the finest white varietals
RQ 3 - Chile Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot dubbed "The Big Shot" or "the top dog" leads the way in our top shelf quintet of all-star varietals.
RQ 4 - Australian Pinot Noir Shiraz, The Cat's Meow, "the best" or "the cream at the top". This magnificent vintage is the best of a Pinot Noir Shiraz.
RQ 5 - Spanish Rose' - The Deb, literally "the debutante" means "the coming out of an upper class socialite". A superb easy drinking Rose'!

A real rosé kit? That's a breath of fresh air. I rather like a good Rioja rosé. Any insight into what region this one comes from?

The others look OK. Pinot Noir with Syrah is a curious combination I don't think I've seen before.

Yeah, finally a tempting looking rosé kit. Unfortunately, these kits aren't sold here in Sweden.

I rather like a good Rioja rosé. Any insight into what region this one comes from?
Don't know exactly, but Rioja wine comes from the Rioja Region which consists of La Rioja, part of Basque and Navarre if not mistaken. But it says it's made of Macabeo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macabeo

Yeah, finally a tempting looking rosé kit. Unfortunately, these kits aren't sold here in Sweden.

Don't know exactly, but Rioja wine comes from the Rioja Region which consists of La Rioja, part of Basque and Navarre if not mistaken. But it says it's made of Macabeo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macabeo

Good find. I know Macabeo as Virua, more commonly, which is grown in Rioja (and other places, of course), but it's a white grape. Can't get rosé from a white grape. They must blend it with something.

I suppose I should have been clearer in that I like rosés that come from Rioja (the style common to the region is approachable yet sophisticated at the same time), and I was curious where this particular offering was sourced from. If Rioja, that would be great, but if elsewhere, that would be good to know, too.

Yes, you can't make a rosé from an white grape without another red grape! BUT I have to correct myself, had a new look, they have a Spanish white wine "The Caterpillar's Kimono" that is made by Macabeo. So memory (age) played me a trick, I mixed that up! Sorry everyone for that. :slp

(I can remember the parts of Rioja from a trip some 20 years ago but not what I read yesterday. Oh well...)

I have had rosé from that region made by blends of tempranillo, garnacha or macabeo (virua).

Anyway, i would love to get my hands on a kit like that.

Ordered both the Spanish White and Rose'...I think Spanish wine are well underrated. when I was in Spain I found the wines were exquisite...and have made them every chance that I can.

Agreed. About 50% or more of the commercial wine I buy is Spanish. Wish there were more kits, especially at the high end.

I have mine, The Rose'.. haven't look at it yet ill probly start this one next week.

Attachments

• Rose' 001.jpg
    Rose' 001.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Rose' 002.jpg
    Rose' 002.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Rose' 003.jpg
    Rose' 003.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Rose' 004.jpg
    Rose' 004.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 39
Does anyone know what would be the best alternative to top off this wine kit with?

RJS 2020 RQ2 The Caterpillar's Kimono - Spanish Macabeo Wine

I don't have a real answer for this, since I have never tasted Macabeo wine. I did find this interesting web site, which, if you scroll to the bottom has a big list of wines, along with approximate prices. Given that I saw some as low as $3 and many around $10. i would guess you can find some of this to top with.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/grape-574-macabeo-viura

not sure about topping off ,here's were I am at so far ,lots of juice just did it straight up ,yes I said straight up will see what happens.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 2aa.jpg
    2aa.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 2c.jpg
    2c.jpg