RJ Spagnols RJ Spagnols Australian Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KathyBelrose

Junior
Reaction score
I am new to winemaking and learning many things. I have just started a batch of chardonnay from Spagnols, Cru Select, I believe. I have doubts about how well this will turn out. I am very meticulous about the cleaning and sanitization, so I do not think this is a contributing factor, also all of my equipment is new and I use only glass carboys.

What created concern is when I poured the box of grape juice into the fermentation pail, I distinctly smelled vinegar. Uncertain what to do, I followed the directions to put the yeast in, and over the last week noticed the vinegar smell has gone. The yeast did bubble, but not as much as other batches. Also the SG 8 days into the process is already at 0.994. Temperatures have been in the mid 20s.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Retail store is willing to take it back, but they could not smell the vinegar on day 2 when provided a small sample. Should I continue with this batch or return it? Thanks for any help or advice!

Kathy:

I'm pretty sure that you are being paranoid. Other than the the possible vinegar smell (could have been on the outside of the packaging), everything sounds good. Specifically that sg reading is fine.

Steve

Continue and follow all of the directions. I would not toss anything until you tried everything. What you smell can be a nunber of things. I bet it will come out great. Relax have a glass of ......

Thank you for the advice

Thank you both for your kind advice. I may be a little paranoid because I am new to the hobby and trying to follow all the best practices of the experts in hopes of achieving positive results. So far I've been very fortunate and had a few (less expensive) kits turn out very well, and decided to try the more expensive ones. Confidence does take some time!

Again, thank you both!

K.

Temperatures have been in the mid 20s.

WHERE THE HECK DO YOU LIVE WHERE IT'S IN THE 20'S IN AUGUST???

Just curious...

Everything does sound fine to me with the exception the vinegar smell. Hopefully it was just on the outside like someone said as the bags do leak a little bit sometimes but they are triple bagged and usually what gets out cant get back in so maybe a fruit fly got into the box and started to do its magic but most likely didnt get in the bag. Hold onto the box though or at least the sticker with the code and if need be if the wine is no good email Linda Kazakoff at Winexpert and shell most likely replace it or have the place that sold the kit to you replace it.

Wade, I had no idea that Winexpert replaced RJ Spagnols kits that are bad. Thank you for sharing this info!!!

Steve :p

I'm on Vancouver Island, and yes it was 20 celsius, not fahrenheit. Brrr!

I'm now about 3 or 4 weeks into this kit, and there is no more vinegar smell, but it doesn't have a very strong fruity smell, unlike the previous cheaper chardonnay I made. Could this mean it will still make a wine, rather than a vinegar, but may not be a great one? Not sure how to interpret this. Anyone have a batch that followed this path?

That is good news it could still be replaced - thank you! I'm going to wait until closer to bottling day before giving up on this one, because it might still turn out. Just unexpected process, I suppose.

Latest posts

Back