Rising santizer off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki500

Junior
Reaction score
Just want to see how people "rinse well" there sanitizer off. I have the pink powder stanitizer and I was curious if you should you constant running water or rinse in the sink or what ? Thanks

I use one step, it's a no rinse sanitizer. Then I put kmeta in my carboys and put a stopper in them, then dump them when ready for use and do not rinse. There's crap in the water I don't want in my wine. I also use filtered water to make wine with

You should not use a sanitizer that needs to be rinsed off. You are defeating the purpose of sanitizing your equipment when you rinse off.

I can see where your coming from but i have the pink powder stuff

Bring a pot of water to a boil, let it cool. You can rinse with that. I use that as a standard practice with my beer making since beer is much more susceptible to infections than wine (lower final ABV %).

I use StarSan which is food grade and doesn't need rinsing for my wine making applications.

I can see where your coming from but i have the pink powder stuff

What is the name of the "Pink Stuff" The majority of sanitizing solutions sold today are no-rinse products.

Perhaps it's time to change sanitizer products. Julie is speaking the truth there. DON'T rinse a sanitized bottle or utensil with tap water. (Unless you are going to sanitize it again before using)

Why do you boil the water ? Just put it in the sink ? Thanks for replying

The idea is that my water has stuff growing in it (like most water supplies do) that I don't want to transfer to my wine. Boiling the water kills the microbes that may be living in it, drives off some of the chlorine that may be added to the water (this is for my beer making purposes). So when you rinse your "clean" item that you used your pink powder sanitizer, it hopefully stays sanitized and removes the pink powder residue that isn't healthy to ingest. And having used it before, Chlorinated TSP isn't very good to ingest. Might want to use Green label Oxi-clean if you are using it to clean bottles.

I was trying to see what it meant by "rinse well" on the container . So did you just rinse it in a tub of water before ? That what I'm worried about , not rinsing all the residue off . Defiantly switching to the no rinse type .

Last edited:
I was trying to see what it meant by "rinse well" on the container . So did you just rinse it in a tub of water before ? That what I'm worried about , not rinsing all the residue off . Defiantly switching to the no rinse type .

This is what I used to do. If you are going to use TSP, go ahead and rinse with tap water, in a sink or spray it or whatever. Just know that you then need to sanitize it with a no rinse solution like Star San or One Step or something along those lines. I remember using TSP to remove bottle labels on beer bottles, then soaking the bottles in a trash can with clean water, then rinsing the dried bottles with pre-boiled water before adding beer to them. Think of Chlorinated TSP as a sledge hammer type cleaner. It will remove about anything, just need to rinse it well, very well.

I'm not going to use it anymore . I was just worrying because I used it to clean my equipment and wanted to make sure i rinsed well enough. thanks for replaying

I'm not going to use it anymore . I was just worrying because I used it to clean my equipment and wanted to make sure i rinsed well enough. thanks for replaying

Then rinsing it in your sink should be fine. Your original post led people to think that you were using it as part of a normal cleaning regiment.

I was just worried that using it on my equiment and filling a sick of water to rinse it was doing a good enough job . They I thought that if I'm using a sink of water that there has to be some left on my equiment . Just want to make sure I'm rinsing enough.

I was just worried that using it on my equiment and filling a sick of water to rinse it was doing a good enough job . They I thought that if I'm using a sink of water that there has to be some left on my equiment . Just want to make sure I'm rinsing enough.

I think you are fine. I used it for about 10 years until I discovered using Oxi-clean worked just as well and was a bit less harsh on my hands.

I would stay away from anything that had chlorine in it. I normally use oxi-clean with the blue lid. This does not have chlorine in it.

Thanks for replaying. Is oxy clean hard to rinse out ? Can I ask you what are your steps ?

Last edited:
If the Pink Powered stuff is what I think it is, its basically powered bleach. I dislike the stuff altogether, a lot of people avoid it like the plague. It's only really used in the initial cleaning process and needs to be well rinsed. When sanitizing using K-META some people rinse, but I would just get a no rise sanitizer like Starsan, keep some in a spray bottle and just spray the equipment before use.

Latest posts

Back