Rinse?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After cleaning and then sanitizing should I be rinsing off the sanitizer? I'm using Potassium Metabisulfite at 3 tbsp to a gallon of water.

Ratz, wish I had asked that question 2 weeks ago.

Don't fret about it, Zog... first, because it won't do any good to worry about what is already done... second, you will probably be ok... maybe not, but probably ok. When you sanitize it is best not to rinse unless you have some boiled water to rinse with, but most likely you will not have introduced enough bad boy microbes with your rinse to interrupt your primary fermentation and spoil the taste of your wine. If there are any microbes in your wine, and there will most certainly be some, you will be putting them under control when you stabilize your wine with sulfides and sorbate.
I'll bet you a grape to an elderberry that you are going to be ok.
Next time rinse with boiled water or else don't rinse at all.
Happy New Year!

:b

If you used clean, hot water to rinse--------and I'm guessing you did, there shouldn't be any concern. Few, if any, bacteria can survive a hot water tank and chlorination.

Fred

I just used hot water from the tap. We're on a well, so no chlorination.

Zog,

I too am on well water and my local wine shop said it would be fine to rinse with straight “hot” tap water. Our water is high in iron and I was told not to use it for any topping up of my kits. I haven’t had any serious testing done, only that done by the used car/water softener salesmen.

Metal and wine are not a good combination.
The acids may react with the metal and that may cloud up the wine.

So if your tap water is high in metal do not top up with it.

Luc

My well also has a little iron, but quite a lot of calcium. I bought bottled water to top off my kit. I was concerned that the calcium would lower the acid level in the wine.

For top of water I recommend using distilled water as the distilling process eliminates alot of this stuff including 02 which is not good at this point in the game. Thats another reason why we dont use it in the wine making process as those minerals are acyually good for the wine along with the extra 02. Good in the end, not in the beginning with distilled water!

Latest posts

Back