Rinse solution for Milwaukee pH meters?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Milwaukee MW101 pH meter, and have a question about solutions. I was able to find the calibration solutions, the storage solution, and the cleaning solution in large (220 ml) bottles. However, they only seem to make the Rinse Solution (M10000B) in the 20 ml sachets. You are supposed to rinse the meter in this solution each time.

What do people on WMT do before putting your meter away? Do you buy the one-use sachets? Do you rinse it with regular water? Do you rinse it with Storage solution or 7.01 Solution? :?

Thanks, Paul

Hey Paul, once again you'll get numerous answers so I'll tell you what I do with no issues. I rinse with distilled water and I store it in the same.
I would skip buying storage solution and use either distilled water or I believe it's the 4.0 solution you can use.
I wish we could have convinced you on a different Ph Meter though.

Hey Paul, once again you'll get numerous answers so I'll tell you what I do with no issues. I rinse with distilled water and I store it in the same.
I would skip buying storage solution and use either distilled water or I believe it's the 4.0 solution you can use.

Thanks. I figured a common-sense protocol like that must be acceptable.

Did you really mean to store in the 4.0, not the 7.0?

I wish we could have convinced you on a different Ph Meter though.

Wait, one of the reasons I chose it was because Julie was so happy with her MW102! (Plus I got a good deal on it from craigslist.)

Oops my bad. I thought a read Phep 5. I'm getting use to my new glasses and old age. Lmao. You got a good one. I really thought it was the 4.0 or3.0 buffer solution to use. I just buy the large bottles of each. Ibglowin or Steve can say for sure which is better.

Probes are typically stored in a saturated potassium chloride solution (KCl). That's what I use. And I agree with distilled or deionized water for rinsing. I would suggest letting it soak for an hour or so in pH 4 buffer solution before you do calibration. That seems to give me the best results for calibration.

This is from a direct conversation with the manufacturer.

Never wash or store with distilled water!

You can use 4.01 as storage solution.

Do not let probes dry out.

Once open solution will start to go bad or will not allow accurate readings. If you have large bottles pour some in a small container and use that up before opening up large bottles again.

Long term storage in distilled water is not good but certainly no problem to rinse with it.

Wait, one of the reasons I chose it was because Julie was so happy with her MW102! (Plus I got a good deal on it from craigslist.)

And I still am!!!!!!! I use storage solution only because I have some, when I am out of that I will just use the 4.01 solution

Latest posts

Back